Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
halad

Handle with care

7 posts in this topic

The area in front of my place is heavily fished. I have been finding dead walleye and northerns on the shore, with the Pelicans, the chances of any making it to shore has to be slim so there must be quite a few floaters. If you enjoy fishing up here the future is with the walleyes and northerns. Fishing crappies use a light hook set you will land more and the walleye will be easier to release. Keep the fish in the water if possible dont let them flop around in the boat and dont handle them if possible. Dont use plane hooks they are easy for the fish to swallow. The line should be cut on a deep hooked fish rather then pulling the hook out. Big fish require a big net to land them carefully. Any suggestions for handling fish out there? Lets here them. I see so many people handling these fish like they are an unwanted species tossing them out away from there boats.

Halad, I too saw alot of floaters yesterday. One was a Pike about 10 lbs. Alot of people bobber fish the pike and let them run twice before the hook set, then the Pike has the bait in the throat/gills and is a fatal hook. I like the quick strike rigs as it lets you set the hook right away and keeps the hook in the lip.

Why would a person fish pike with live bait with the intent to CPR. That does not make any sence to me. But that is just me.

now that I think about it, even with the Crappies there is no reason to (let em take it), a soft hookset right away does the job. Even if you miss em just leave it sit for a few seconds and a lot of times they will come back and pick it up again.

Good luck

You would be amazed at the # of people that fish Pike that way in the open water. You would be even more amazed at the # who do it with tip ups in the winter...Oh not to mention people that spray WD-40 on thier jigs, dump fryer grease down the hole, go to the bathroom in plastic bags and leave it on the ice ect,ect,,,,Nothing amazes me confused.gif

Halad... An important message we all can do a better job of executing.

It was nice chatting with you @ WW last Thursday. It is always nice to find a local willing to converse with outsiders. We went on to Winnie for the weekend and brought home a limit. Not quite the non-stop action we had on Red, but great fun none the less.

Take care...

It was nice talking to you. Happy to here you had good fishing. Hope to see you again. Thanks.