• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FM get-together luncheon Monday June 13

Like we did last year, some of us are planning another lunch get together on June 13 at PikeHole after a morning fishing in Kitchi. MuskyMark, Ffishman (you gotta come hear his story about banishment from our kingdom[Note from admin: Just a note on ffishman - his story is likely incorrect. He is not banished. He is only on temporary hold. Please tell him to read forum policy as the directions he's given tell him to do and if he follows it he will be back in no time.]), and I will definitely be there with our friends/groups and everyone is invited to come and meet to put faces with usernames and make new friends.

Last year I copied maps of Kitchi for everyone so if anyone new is gonna be there and wants a map, let me know. This year I thought maybe we could do one of 3 things - so majority rules, just let me know what idea you think works best for you. Hopefully your favorite idea/spot doesn't get fished out, but with a group like ours that would rather eat and drink than fish all day, that is rather unlikely I think so you don't have to be afraid to share your secrets.

1. Would anyone be willing to play "guide for a day" for the group. Maybe each of us could spend a half day guiding the group the rest of the week to one of their favorite spots or where they have the best luck? I could make a master plan for the week if we want to spend all week or at least a few days fishing together and learning from each other.

2. Or just send me your favorite idea/technique/spot and I will copy them for distribution to all at the luncheon.

3. Or just bring your favorite idea/technique/spot to explain to the group at lunch on the 13th? Then maybe we plan a day to try the one everyone votes will work best in their schedule?

Kind of tough to organize this formally so maybe only lunch together will be enough to say hi and bs a little together.

Hey, whatever works is fine as a vacation is what you make of it.

Email me at genegodawa at hotmail dot com to let me know

a) will you be at lunch and how many in your group plan on attending, and B) which idea of the above 3 suits you best.

PS I promise not to talk BASEBALL at the luncheon.

Me and two other guys may swing in for a little while at least. We'll be up there on the 11th through the 15th. As for which idea is best, not sure I can be much help there. Have been to Kitchie a few times but don't have any real "hot spots" to offer, just a couple areas I usually try before others. We're planning to focus mostly on Cass, but may still drop in!

All nice ideas. I will be there, with or without customers, also depending on the weather. If it is real bad, remember..drive over, good place to spend a couple of hours on a rain driven day. As for hot spots....I have never known 10 or more fishermen/women get together and reveal all. Doubt if it will happen on the 13th, but if everyone wants to tell me theirs, I will be glad to listen to them....Gene-if you can find some name tags, that would be kind of nice for our "handles". See you soon, ron

Hip Hop,

Welcome to our "family" of Cass diehards. Any spot you know/prefer on the Cass chain would be ok to guide our group to. Most of us are spread around the lake at diff resorts so it is not likely we will all go at the same time.

Col Ron,

Your comment to drive over if it is raining sounds like a good idea to me. Also, I already considered that most fishermen are known to be "tight lipped", but some of us have "loose lips" too. Good idea about the name tags. I'll look at work for some to bring with me.

Got an email from Ffishman. He will be using radio station 20 subchannel 0 gmrs during the week. MuskyMark will also have one in his boat. So if you get on a hotbite you can let them know by using your gmrs radio too. They will do likewise.

I don't think we have agreed on a time to meet yet--some say noon and some say 1pm, so of course I propose 12:30.

7 days from right now and I ought to be wetting a line on Cass.

Now, let's hear from any others planning on attending our get-together.

I will try to make it. Don't plan on having a mushroom and swiss though. They will be out of hamburger by that time (our group will have many meals there). We will try to leave you some beer wink.gif. It will be nice to meet some of you.

If you run into us on the lake before that come over and say hi. I will be in a Tan Sylvan with a 35 Johnson. Probably spending most of our time on Kitchi but will be on Cass some.

Leaving in about 3hrs for the Twin Cities and heading to Pike Hole Tuesday morning.

Good luck everyone.

Rain, rain go away.

Very seldom do we have a day without rain. The last week, we have had several days with an inch or more of rain. Needless to say the lake is rising. Two weeks ago, I cleared the Pike Bay bridge with about 6" to spare, now, I am at the top of the windshield. Don't really need to go there however. Going into Andrusia, and Kitchie are easier, but be particularly careful of the current around Pug Hole. The water is really rushing through there. All gates everywhere along the Miss. river are open. When the water was down, parking your boat at Pike Hole was a challenge, now it is dangerous. Please use extra caution.

As for fishing, the walleyes are really on a feed. The big lake is producing nice catches, on the main bars. I am finding my favorite right now is leeches during the day, shiners or large minnows are also bringing larger fish scraping the bottom. They are starting to bite on spinners now with a jumbo leech. I have not seen any mayflies on the water. The dragonflies are hatching on land, which may cause some confusion. Bring your wet suit and enjoy!! Ron

Thanks for the report Ron. You're getting soaked while we're getting steamed down here! That's okay. We've got raingear to handle the weather up north. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will shut off the faucet before we get up there.

Are the docks in front of the Pike Hole still dry? Thanks.

Mark

They are dry as of last Saturday. The problem is the current. I have never seen it so swift. By the way it is suppose to be 87 in Minnepolis today, about 70 up here.

Ron

I will second the fast current, I took us three attempts to dock our boat at Pike Hole the other day. The guy that was holding on the boat pert' near fell in when he tryed to make it from the boat to the dock the current was that fast. Be careful.

WAG

Only a 17 degree difference? Wow. Pretty weird. Maybe some of that heat will slip your way before too long.

I recall that it's also a bear trying to put your boat on the trailer on the north side of the bridge with high water. That neck-down really focuses the flow. At least we've got a dock to tie to at the resort so we won't have to dock in front of the bar! Although, I'm really going to miss providing entertainment for the bar patrons who can sit and look through those big windows. You hate to laugh at the misfortunes of others... but it's just too darn funny sometimes!

Hey Gene, trying like heck to take a day off on Monday, but with each rain event the light gets dimmer and dimmer. I'll be up both Saturday and Sunday, maybe we can run into each other then..... Monday will be a game day decision if I stay or go...

Hope you find em' whenyou're up there...

Good Luck!

Ken

Don't worry...I'm bringing better weather with me and so is MuskyMark and Ffishman and my buddy who used to have the "Jaws" boat and........so are you!