• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

X-15 GPS- New Lowrance chip

Wayne Ek

Question

Maybe someone can explain this one to me... I have 2 Lowrance x-15's on the boat. One on the console and one on the bow. Both with gps. The console x-15 has a Navionics Classic MMC chip and a MMC chip created with the Map Create series 6, which comes with most Lowrance GPS's. One the console unit you can switch back and forth between the two chips. One the bow mounted x-15 I again have a MMC chip made with the Map Create soft-ware and the new Lowrance LakeMaster Pro-Map series ($99.99) that has just come out. On the bow unit you can not switch back and forth, as the unit only recognizes one chip, the new Lowrance LakeMaster chip... odd. But the good news is that the new chip works fantastically on the x-15, I was a little worried after reading some of the past posts.

1 answer to this question

Have you tried switching the chips from one unit to the other to see if the problem moves to the console? If the console unit always works properly, then maybe the X15 on the bow has an older software version. Just a guess.

Today was the first time with my X15 that I purchased this winter. So far so good. I haven't bought a map chip yet as I was waiting to see what the new Navioncs Hotmaps+SE had to offer for lakes. After reading the lake listing for the SE the other day, the Lowrance chip looks much better.

I like the X15, but it was losing the depth reading at medium speed and higher. I saw that the transducer isn't parallel to the ground and if I click it one notch either way it's too far front or too far back. I think you are supposed to change the index using the star washers that wedge in the transducer bracket. The only problem is that I can't see the letters molded on the cogs anymore. I suppose it'll be the old trial and error method.

I mostly just played around with the different settings today while on the water. How does "Ping Speed" affect the sonar? Obviously I noticed the graph moving much faster across the screen, but I'm not sure how it relates to finding fish, etc. It's not in the manual.