Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reelman6141

Knife Lake

2 posts in this topic

I am going to the BWCA early June. This is my 1st time on Knife, I used to live in Ely but usually do the Basswood route. Anyway, anyone have any tips on Walleye and Trout for Knife?

One of my favorite lakes, especially later in the year. Boasting a +21' water clarity, she can be a bit tough to fish. In early June-- I would find some running water if possibile (the Eddy lake trib is one.) Eyes and smallies you can take on jigs/plastic and maybe tipped with live bait. One trip in July of 99' (after the storm) we could see the walleyes in 12' of water approaching are jigs, but spooked by the canoe. It was nuts. Also try pinches and narrows that constrict any flow of the water that the wind might cause. I would concentrate at dawn and dusk for eyes in that clear of a lale. For trout, check some of the other posts on here about "bw trout fishing." one recently has all the info you will ever need for fishing them early in the year.

Was up last year for opener. The water was 42 degrees on Sat. I would say a week earlier, KNife still had ice on her in spots. 45 degrees when we left on Thursday. A bit chilly and the fishing was quite slow, but we did mangage a few trout from shore (smelt under a bobber.) Note-- the western side of the lake seems to be less impacted by the storm as we camped last year on Robbins Island and you couldn't even tell a storm had been through. The eastern side took the brunt of the 99' 4of July wind event.

Good luck and Keep your line tight,

Muddy