Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

Dan Thiem

Last night when I walked back to my truck I found enough garbage including glass to fill a 5 gallon bucket. Hauled it home and disposed of it. That was just a 100 yard stretch of trail. I found all that.

I was wondering, if I was to collect more than that (which would be very easy) what can be done with it all?

All along the river there is tires, styrofoam, cans, just about everything you can imagine. Now is the time to snatch it up being the grasses aren't too tall yet and the neddles are not a problem yet.

My question is how does somebody go about getting the stuff hauled away. Picking it up and making some piles is no problem.

Anybody know if the garbage collecters would be willing to help out?

Down to Earth

You should see the shores of Lake Zumbro. You could probably fill a barge up with all the shoreline garbage I saw yesterday. I could probably do a giant trash bag everyday this year and not even make a dent in it.

Andy

stillhunter

Dan,

Will start off to state that this was 10 years ago. Not sure if the same will apply.

Was involved with a cleanup sponsored by our campus Science & Environmental club at a local NE Ia river. We hauled tires, cans, etc. to a specific location and the County came and picked it up. We had quite a pile of refuse (washed down by one nasty flood). If memory serves me, we had contacted the local DNR, who then made approprate contacts.

This is more recent. Have a very good friend who sponsors clean-ups (and other water quality projects) in a central IA watershed. They call themselves the local river "Navy". I will contact him to see how they get rid of what they pick-up and post at a later time.

Hope this helps

Dan Thiem

Thanks Stillhunter! grin.gif

The River Road has an Adopt a Highway program on it but I think it's been a while since anyone has made any effort towards picking the stuff up.

Thanks again!

Pilotmound Art

We just got done this week doing a 2 mile stretch of road.It's bad. Did same road last year. frown.gif

stillhunter

again from my college days, our club sponsored a stretch of road w/ the Adopt-a-Highway program. We were to "police" that section 2x/year.

a follow-up to my 1st re. My friend's group works with the local County conservation and the Resourse Recovery plant. They donate costs for pick-up of all the trash they pull out of the river.

the_mighty_kasey

I worked for the Minnesota Conservation Corps one summer and we did a river clean up along the Zumbro, Cannon, Straight, and Root rivers. I was disgusted at some of the items that we found (tires, shopping carts, car seats, washer and dryer). After that experience, I vowed never to litter again.

I would suggest contacting the DNR to see if they could help.

CrappieJohn

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com Kasey! Always good to have a new perspective here.

Sad but real, the Zumbro has collected a nother load and is in dire need of help once more. Little by little things get the attention they need, but often it is too little too late.

Again....welcome aboard!

COLORADO WEEBS

Good question Dan....Out here we have community efforts to clean up the trash, and if we go to city hall we can get blaze orange trash bags and when filled can be placed on any curbside (even highways) and waste management will pick up those orange bags.......Dont know if something like that would be possible around there, but it really is making a difference around here....Great idea I thought...Weebs

CrappieJohn

Welcome aboard, Colorado Weebs! It always impresses me when a thread of this nature goes up and one can see that trash is a country-wide issue.

We have several options available for clean up and removal at hand, but sometimes it just gets overwhelming.

Again...welcome to FishingMinnesota.com!

Dan Thiem

Weebs,

Hey buddy. Thanks for hooking up with our site.

Let me introduce this man to everyone.

Brian has a vast knowledge of all types of freshwater fishing. I have known him for many, many years and used to fish with this guy almost every weekend.

Now living in Breck, he still comes back to the land of 10,000 lakes to rekindle his angling roots.

I'm looking forward to his input on this forum and on the Colorado forum.

Welcome on board, "Coloradro Weebs". See you up on the Crow Wing Chain in two weeks. Take care Dude!

goody

Colorado Weebs,

Welcome to the site (small world). Good to see your still as conservation minded as ever. I usually partake in an annual clean up on Dan's beloved stretch of the Zum each fall. Maybe this fall you can make it back for a float down the river for a ~ fish / clean up trip.

Your old pal from the 6c22.

COLORADO WEEBS

HEY GUYS THANKS FOR THE WELCOME,IT SEEMS TO BE A VERY INFORMATIVE SITE.LOOKING FORWARD TO FISHING MY OLD HOTSPOTS IN ABOUT A WEEK AND WILL BE HAPPY TO DO MY PART IN MAKING MINNESOTAS LAKES AND RIVER LOOK THE WAY THEY SHOULD...COLORADO WEEBS