Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hooked On a Feeling

X85 Dies... What should replace it?

12 posts in this topic

O.K. FM'ers, my X85 croaked on me the other day on the river, I've been debating going back to the good 'ol flasher. What our your experiences, neg. vs pos. on this. I'm 55% leaning towards the flasher right now, or, does new color LCD make more sense? I need more convincing either way. Thanks in advance.

Hooked

You could have both! The Lowrance units have a flasher mode you can switch to. The units have changed a lot since the x85. The x-85 back in the day was one on the better lowrance units. Now, it doesnt even compare to the lowest unit in the lowrance line up. The main diference is the levels of grayscale being 16. Meaning you have 16 shades of one color(gray) to display the detail on the screen oppossed to the x85 which was pretty close to be 2-4 levels really. And of course the color units which use 256 colors to display the information on the screen.

Get a Lowrance LMS-332c or an x102c. The color screen is way worth it.

gspman

Hooked On a Feeling...

I'm in the same boat...literally. (lol...good one!) But seriously... I've got an X-85 that's acting kind of "weird"... Could you describe the behavior of your unit before it's demise?

My "weird" X-85 is my bow mount and will be replaced (when the time comes) with my LX-3. With the performance I experienced this winter... It's a no-brainer for me. High power, GREAT target separation.... Proven technology.

hey Moose-Hunter or Hooked,

I have an X-85 that I was planning on wiring to my newly acquired used boat. I wired my Vex to the bow so I have a flasher to fish with, but I wanted something near the console mainly for navigation and scouting.

Will the X-85 do the job or should I invest in something else before I go through the process of installing it?

Quote:

hey Moose-Hunter or Hooked,

I have an X-85 that I was planning on wiring to my newly acquired used boat. I wired my Vex to the bow so I have a flasher to fish with, but I wanted something near the console mainly for navigation and scouting.

Will the X-85 do the job or should I invest in something else before I go through the process of installing it?

The X-85 will "do the job" if all you're looking for is depth, speed and temp. If funds would allow it, I'd go with a more "up to date" unit personally. Something with GPS, capable of using the new chips that are out there. The X-85 was a fine unit in it's day, but with today's technology they're just about an antique.

Don't quote me, but I think that Lowrance will give you money for your old locator if you buy a new one from them. This could save you a few bucks.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

MooseHunter... My X85 was working fine one minute and then the next she was toast, checked fuses & etc. Was working fine until then.

tafadwa... If your just need a finder for depth and searching, that x85 will work great. As far as fiding seperation, hidden fish, clarity & etc., I would look at today's technology as stated in above responses. Otherwise I'd save your cash and run the x85 'til she pukes.

Hooked

thanks guys

Quote:

Don't quote me, but I think that Lowrance will give you money for your old locator if you buy a new one from them. This could save you a few bucks.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Corey, is right on. I got a certificate for $150 to apply towards a new unit. They base the amount on what unit you have. Ebay has X-15's for $399 right now. That is deal. Some of those guys are dealer and can take the certificate.

Sully

Corey,

Thanks for the heads-up for the possible rebate from lowrance, I'm checking into it a.s.a.p.

Thanks again,

Hooked

To Corey and Irish: How did you go about getting the certificate?