Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crappiechaser

Bass

8 posts in this topic

Why are people fishing for bass right now? There are people out throwin huge spinner baits. I know you could say your fishing for crappie but that must be a big crappie to hite a bait like that.

What do guys think about this?

All I can say to this, is if you feel like you see someone breaking the law, immediately call the TIP line.

I personally do not believe there is a law against throwing spinners right now (at least I don't think the DNR would prosecute on it, but that's just my opinion), but the only time I do this time of year is when I'm on Pool 4 (bass is open right on Pool 4).

But seriously anytime you feel like you are witnessing something that is against regulations, you should call TIP, at the very least to clear your own mind, and let the DNR handle it.

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to call the TIP line if they were indeed throwing BIG spinnerbaits.

It is against the law to fish specifically for any species while the season is closed. Throwing a big spinner bait would be considered "bass fishing" and is prosecuteable by law. Saturday night one of my neighbors on Washington decided to fish for walleye off their dock and they were successful! The also decided to keep them. mad.gif One of our other neighbors called them in. BUSTED!! Minnesota has a way of making sure if you break the law, you will pay. Check the 2005 fishing regulation booklet. They have some good examples in there. Though the examples given are fairly extreme cases, the fines and punishments are similar for lesser crimes.

These are probably the same people that I saw fishing with tip ups the 2nd week in March on Washington. Their argument may be that they are releasing the fish, but catching and releasing fish that are getting ready to spawn could be pretty stressful on them I would imagine. It's one thing to accidentally catch a fish that you aren't targeting, but nobody that I know uses large spinner bates for panfish. The people that were deliberately catching and keeping walleyes should have been turned in and I'm glad they were. With the technology that's out there today with cell phones, etc I would think people would take more care in breaking the law right in front of other sportmens noses.

~piker

I have had good success early in the season targeting fish near current. In less that 2' of water in most cases wink.gif. I have also had good luck fishing any weed line that has had the wind blowing into it for a couple of days. Sometimes there is a destinct inside weed line and that is where they are possitioned most of the time with the wind blowing in. Rattle traps work good for me here if it isn't too weedy. Otherwise, a big heavy jig and plastic works good. My go to lure in those current areas has been a tube. I use the worm hooks with the bullet weight attached right too it and rig it weedless. Dark colors have worked the best for me. Good luck this summer. Later, Paul

Sorry, wrong thread, this was supposed to go in your other Washington Bass subject. I knew that I shouldn't have started drinking at noon grin.gif

I've ran into a few people fishing or gonna go for eyes or pike or bass, I've told them hey you know the season is closed, and quite a few not aware they are closed. And yes Some I'm sure just playing dumb, but they stop still, be the first step, dont be afraid to say something. It is all our lakes and rivers we fish them. But call TIP if else fails.