Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fly651

Need Help!!!

6 posts in this topic

I'm a rookie and need help on the leaders... how long am I suppose to leave the leader from the fly line to the tippets? and how long should the tippet be to the fly? Please help before operner this weekend? Thanks!!!

My advice would be to buy tapered leaders. A 9ft 5x for trout would be a good start. I tie my own because I feel in a lot of cases they turn over better but a taper leader turns over fine and will be much easier for the rookie fly fishermen.

For trout, tapered. But for other stuff, tapered leaders are not necessary. Get some tippet spools, nail-knot your butt section, and make a loop-to-loop connection. Bass, panfish, toothies, all just a flat butt and tippet system is sufficient. Don't tell Orvis I said so.

ice

I've enjoyed using Air-Flo Polyleaders for trout fishing. They have great turnover, and changing out tippets is easy.

There's a loop connection at the end of the polyleader and I tie whatever length of tippet (with a loop-to-loop connection) I need depending on whether or not I'm nymphing or fishing dries.

For nymphs, I use either 4x, 5x, or 6x tippet, and for dries it's usually 6x...sometimes 7x for fishing tricos or other small dries in clear water conditions.

Length of tippet differs, but usually it's about 3-4 feet off the polyleader (longer for spooky trout and small dry flies).

That's merely just my preference. I found that to be very easy as I was just getting the hang of things.

Nine feet for trout is a good all around length, especially for someone with entry level casting experience. I tie my own leaders, too, but I use a system like the one WxGuy described with a loop to loop connection between leader and tippet. I feel that tippets ought to be at least thirty inches long. The old "rule of three" is an okay guide to tippet size. To use it, divide your fly size by three. The result will get you close to the "X" number of tippet material you ought to be using. And with sunken flies, I really think, especially if you use fluorocarbon, that you can err on the heavy side without penalty.

Thanks everyone!!! I think I'll be okay... happy fishing!!!