Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peanut3/4

Shore fishing lake zumbro

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a good spot to shorefish?I have two small kids who like the catching part but not the fishing part.

First, welcome to Fishing MN!!

There are plenty of good shore spots on the Zumbro. There is a public fishing pier at Fisherman's Inn. There is also the concrete steps across the lake from ponderosa that has plenty of good shore fishing all around it. To get to the steps take Hwy 52 to Oronoco. Take a right at the gas station at Oronoco. Follow this road to "Power dam road" on your left (may be a mile or less). Take power dam road until you see the right turn for "Mac's campground." I am not sure how far it is. There is a little dirt road to the right just before the entrance to the campground. It winds uphill to a little parking area. Walk down and fish!

Like Murph says WELCOME wink.gif

Quarry Hill also has a nice area for kids to catch fish. They will bite on a bare hook. It also has turtles and a few HUGE BASS!! I saw one once that was at least a three pounder.

The pond is directly behind the nature center. Plenty of shoreline and a nice bridge that goes across. Great place for small kids.

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com!

The Zumbro can be pretty slow at times, so if patience is an issue better look elsewhere. As Dan mentioned, the Nature Center has a nice "catching" pond, it is easy to access and it is free! The Chester Wood park lake has a dock that is also accessible for kids to fish, but there is a daily fee to get in. Silver Lake in Rochester can also give the kids a fix on fish too.

Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the info and the welcome.We have fished at Fishermans Inn with not much luck.Maybe try the Nature Center this weekend. thanks again for the info and the welcome

Yes there are panfish-o-plenty at Quarry Hill, though my experience with my son is that they are very hard to catch. The reason being is they are very,very small and will pretty much just nibble at your bait until nothing but the hook is left. I've even fished with small ice fishing hooks with the same results. So experiment and hopefully you will have better results.

Dan,

I have seen that Bass. We go there quite often, though not to fish, and I bet most times you always see some kid throwing everything at that bass tempting it to bite. I have never seen it caught. That could be a challenge.

Andy