• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johnson Motor?

99ranger

Question

Hey just curious as what a guy should do. I have a 1999 Johnson V6 motor that is losing compression in a cylinder. I am thinking of getting a replacement. What should a guy do? Go with a remanufactured block or a new block or continue to run till this one goes all together. If a new or remanufactured one does anyone know of a good place to get a Johnson block. Also one any good warranties. Or should just get a replacement motor.

Thanks

5 answers to this question

I assume it is a Ficht motor, they had problems in these years. You can use it they way it is now, you'll loose just a little performance or I would suggest a complete motor replacement. The new ETech are very nice and you'll be happy with it.

Thanks but it is not a ficht it is just a Johnson carb motor. I was told $6000 for a block replacement. Is this right?

That sounds a little too high for me, but it's dealer price.

If you shop online you might be able to find a better deal on a whole motor.

After all I was selling a 2001 150hp Mercury for $ 3500, $ 6000 for block and labor it's too much.

I still think you should run it as it is until it gets worse, which probably it will not.

I would first find out what the problem is and go from there. Have a tech pull the head and see what is going on. If cylinder walls are good and you would only need 1 piston you can get fixed alot cheaper than $6000.

Quote:

I was told $6000 for a block replacement. Is this right?

Who ever told you this does not know what they are talking about or they are a CROOK, never talk to this person about boats or engines again.

You could get a brand new 90 HP E-Tec for that price.

My guess is if you do have bad cylinder it would be about $2500 to rebuild it.

Who did the compression check and what where the numbers.?