Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ralph Wiggum

DIY rod case

5 posts in this topic

I've been toying with the idea of building a custom rod/reel case and was looking for anyone who has done this and has any advice. What did you use? How did you make it? What would you do differently?

Thanks to all!

R

About 10-15 years ago I built one out of PVC pipe.

Used 4 inch thin wall PVC pipe, cut to desired length

Glued (PVC Cleaner and glue needed) one permenant cap on the bottom

Glued a Screw cap on the other end.

Then I drilled holes in the side to Pop Rivet a nylon carry strap.

All available at your local hardware, builder store.

I still have the darn thing, use it regularly, it's STURDY!!!

Cost about $10 to build.

DN

Did the same thing for a trip to Mexico. The store boughts crush.

How many rods did you put in one tube? How did you keep them from crashing around inside?

Hi Ralph

When traveling by car(truck in my case) they don't rattle to much, so I just put in however many I need for the trip. The more there are the less rattling around. I have often traveled with 6-8 rods or more in the home made case. How many you can get in depends on the combination of spinning, casting or flyrods. The large spinning guides take up more room and require more careful fitting together to side multiple rods in the case.

If you have expensive rods, and want to protect them individually, you can buy cloth rod sacks from Rod Building suppliers, like:

Mud Hole Rod Building Supply

Jann's Netcraft [note from admin:no un-authorized links allowed]

Cabela's has a speciality catalog on tackle craft, but didn't see sacks there.

Also I would guess the big chain stores for sporting goods have them hangin' on rack some where. You know the BIG 3 or 4 in MN. Ask the sales people if they got them.

Or if you sew or know someone who does, you could make rod sacks even cheaper.

DN