• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished this morning with pretty good success.Caught a meal of 9-10.5 crappies in 30 fow. All the fish I marked were from 22.-45 fow. The only thing I could get them to bite on was a 1/32 chart. ball headed jig. tried minnows,waxies and numerous different colored jigs.They bit fairly well right away this a.m. and as the morning went on,it slowed.Many fish in 35-45 fow off third point with all of them suspended 15-20 feet.In bakers bay is where I caught my fish from 22-34 fow,suspende approx 10-18 feet.The fish that I caught inhaled the jig totally into thier mouth.All the fish I caught were pretty nice,with smallest being 9.Not the normal that I normally catch from 6-10.Good enough to go back tommorrow.

Hey Lee H.,

I am not familiar with Washington Lake. Is this the one in Le Seur (?) county? About how far south of the cities would it be? Or, north of Iowa, etc. I'm not sure what area its in.

Freebledso--Washington is approx 6-8 miles south of St. Peter and North east of Mankato. From say Eden Praire, I would guess about a 1 hour drive.From Iowa-Mn border probably 1.5 hours north,I think.If you take 169 to St. Peter, then go south on Hwy.22 towards,you will take a left by a sign that says Westwood.Its probably 5-6 miles after a left on 22.Forgot ,yes this is the lake in Lesuer county.

Nice report Lee Harvey. Glad to hear you got on some fish.

The nicer crappies and 'gills will stage out in that deeper water until the water temperature gets closer to 60.0 F. So, based on your comment of water temperature in another post, those schools of fish will only get bigger and the size will only get better in the deeper water as the days pass.

One thing you may want to try for finicky fish is a jigging rap'. Work those schools of suspended fish, looking for the aggressive fish with this type of lure, which typically does not require any bait. You can know how far down you are by simply using a bobber stop and keeping your bobber stop at or near the surface of the water.

Keep your tip up!!

The crappies have been heading to the shallow mud flats this last week. We have been catching black crappies off the docks for a little over a week now. They are taking minnows on moonglows and mini-mites. The best bite is at dusk and the subsequent several hours. You will need a small lighted bobber as they are biting light, but they are biting fast. Mostly 5-6 feet of water. Go nuts! There is also a good bite on the Jefferson Mill pond, the west end of Francis, and Madison on any of the shallow flats.

No doubt Big DS about the shallow bite being good at dusk and beyond. I was commenting on tactics that can typically be used during the day when the fish aren't as active in shallow this time of year. Based on my experience around here, there isn't a great day time crappie or 'gill bite until the water temperature near 60.0 F. You can certainly have some decent bites but nothing like what is to come!

Good reports and keep holding people to the law! Always use TIP when applicable.

TeamOtter I would be more opt to say that the bigger crappies are staged at 10-15 feet during day on slight depth breaks and dead weedlines now, You may find some over deeper water but your main schools are staging for mudd flats and spawning areas now. After we see a few nights that are not in the low temps water will stay warm over night and be warm in morning and we shall have our day bite. and then as you all know It will be how fast can you take them off so you can catch another.

Tuesday a.m.

Fished Washington,starting at 6.00 a.m. with pretty good success.The water temp was up to 58 on the main lake and I found no water warmer than that,even in 3 feet. Caught the sunfish and crappies in 16 fow and suspended about 10-12 feet with some a little higher.All the fish I took (one meal,threw back alot)were caught on a little blue ice jig with a waxie,today they didnt want my choices of plastics.When I ran out of waxies,tried pieces of crawlers with zero success.Didnt try minnows today. The last three times out in the last week the water has went from 54-56-58, and the fish continue to move shallower.I have had no luck shallower than 10 fow,but im only fishing the morning,maybe late day-early evening the shallow bite is good.I would guess the nicer fish im catching will be in the shallows very shortly.Also for you bullhead fisherman,caught one 3.5 bullhead and there were more on the bottom.All my crappies and pannies have been located on a sharp dropoff along some weeds, with some fish right in the weeds.Bass and a couple of eyes were a little pesky today,but we can catch them in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Washington Monday the fish are pretty scattered.

The water temps on Washington and Frances this week dropped to a average of 51 degrees with the warmest water about 53.

The fish on Frances are also scattered now and I could not buy a bite yesterday.

Most of the fish marked on both lakes were 10 feet down over water depths of 18 to 28 feet.

It will be interesting to see how the Crappie tournament on Madison goes this weekend.

We need a warm up !