Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
d.roy

Any good sucker runs??

9 posts in this topic

I remember fishing the sucker run in college (bemidji state) and having a blast doing so, I miss that. I now live in the western suburbs of the twin cities and am wondering if anyone knows of any good sucker runs out that way. Altough they're just suckers, they sure can be a blast and good fighters too - thanks for any help!

Your best bet would be the Crow River. It would be the closest to you. I dont know of any other places to try in the west metro. Any part of the river you should be able to catch some suckers, pick a spot if nothing bites in 5 minutes try somewhere else shouldnt take you very long to find some fish.

You must have fished the power dam? I go to bsu right now and am an avid outdoorsman. Cant ask for a better life, fish almost everyday. Ya the suckers were up there thick this year and it truely is a blast. Gonna soak it in for another 3 years as much as i possibly can.

We have been doing great down here in Zumbro Falls. We usually get a mixed bag of suckers every time we go. There is a contest that runs for a week. It's going on right now and the biggest so far is a 6 pound 8 ounce Silver Redhorse that's leading.

The river is a little low right now and I think the spawning run has slowed some.

Yeah, I miss the powerdam in the spring and reel'n one in almost every cast. I finished at BSU in Dec 2000. I'm gonna have to try to make it up there for next year's run. There's so much good fishing to be had at the end of april in the bemidji area. Make the most of it while you can - BSU is a great place to be!!

At root river and mill creek in chatfield there running like crazy.

Minnehaha creek has a white sucker run upstream of lake Hiawatha and several sucker species run from the Mississippi up until the big falls block them. (pretty much everything runs up Minnehaha below the falls, one of the top stream fishing spots in the metro)

Tony

what do you guys use to catch the suckers, ive got a stream that ive found them running in, i think theyd be fun to catch i just need to know what to use, any tips? thanx

A little hunk o cralwer on a small hook lindy rigged should get em. It has in the past on the Crow River in the summer. I don't know if they eat while spawing though. If they do another option could be some good ol corn, but it falls off the hook easy. There are recipes for field corn thats tougher which you can find on this site.