Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dfv87

A new boat, just not mine...on board charger question?

6 posts in this topic

My brother in law just bought a boat a 2002 lund pro sport and it comes with a dual bank charger. But it also has a 24 Volt bow mount (minn 65#) and a starting battery. It is my understanding, which is confused most of the time, that he would need a 3 bank charger for this set up. Am I correct?

no the starter battery should be fine as long as there is an alternator on the motor confused.gif

Yes, a three bank charger is needed to charge all three batteries. You can use the dual bank to charge deep cycle batts. for trolling motor. ***Each batt. needs a set of wire leads***. I just changed from a dual bank to a three bank for my 3 batts. and basically set it and forget it, easy peasey.

Hooked

Both Mudman and Hooked are correct. Theoretically you should not need a charger on the starter battery but if your boat sits unused for a month, it sure is nice to know the starter battery will be fresh.

I have the same battery set up, one for starting and other electrical (lights, bilge pump, livewell pump, graph, gps, etc.) and two for the 24 volt trolling motor. I run a 2-bank to the trolling motor batteries and let the alternator on the main motor charge the starting battery. If fishing at night, with the livewell pump on (yay!!) without a lot of running around with the main motor, I will check the starting battery with a voltmeter and top it off if needed with a portable charger. This has worked well for me. If I was rigging a new boat, I would get a 3-bank with one for the starting battery, just more convenient. I don't think it is necessary to change from the 2-bank to the 3-bank.

thanks fellow FMers! You have all the answers! now justy don't get a big head!