Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wmn luv me walleye fearme

starter

11 posts in this topic

I have a 50 horse Mercury 2 stroke and when I turn the key the starter spins but does not engage the fly wheel. (It spins in place and does not fire upwards to engage it) Any ideas at all? I just got my boat back from storage and not sure if I need to replace it or if there is something I can do on it?

Thanks a lot

Quote:

To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

The Nature Boy. That guy just can't give it up.

Anyways, about your starter. Have you tried tapping on it while its spinning?

Actually I havent tried that, pretty clueless on it but should I tap on the cylinder or the actual spinning piece of metal?

Nature Boy should have retired about 15 years ago but still one of my favorite all time lines. He'll probably be wresting untill he's 70

Thanks

Now it's the starter what next? Should be easy to take off 2 bolts, after the cover of the motor is off. Might just need a little wd-40 or a rebuild kit that has the spring that pushes it out when it turns.....

Spray some WD40 on the shaft where starter gearspins, and if you can lift it up it will help. You will have to rotate it and spin at same time, it won't go up and down straight.

I went home last night and when i turned the key was able to manually get it to pop up. When it engages the fly wheel though its not able to turn it (It turns it real real slow) and then when I get it to pop back down I cant get it to fire up on its own the next time. I tried spraying it with wd -40 but no difference. Its a 4 year old Mercury maybe I need to replace it? Is it pretty difficult to replace a starter? I;m trying to avoid taking it anywhere as I know it usually takes them a long long time to get to it

thanks

I am 100% sure your starte is fine. it's your battery that is dead.

thought about that too but I put on the charger for 5 minutes last night and it red fully charged?

Have you cleaned and checked all the terminals and connections? When I first got a boat with the drivers safety/ejection switch, I (no less than three different times) would stop to fish, stand up and pull the lanyard out and when I tried to start it would off course not. Again no less than three times I would check the terminals, pull off the cowl and pull plugs, etc before realizing my own folly - wouldn't have been bad once, but.... grin.gifgrin.gif

The battery is likely OK, but it does sound like a connection issue.

Try with another battery, I can guarantee starter it's fine.

You were dead on. Changed the starting battery and was out fishing this weekend.

Thanks