Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Genofish

bowfishing carp

8 posts in this topic

What lakes are best for bowfishing carp in the area??

I don't remember exactly when but durig the middle of summer sometime, the weeds on Brown's lake die and float to the surface(i think its from the DNR), and the carp roll on the top of the water during the hot sunny days. My grandparents used to have a cabin out there and I can remember this happening every year, I haven't been back there in the summer for some time now so maybe you guys can correct me if I'm wrong or know more specifically what time of year this happens.

I posted some lakes on the Rough Fish page.

Not sure where the idea comes from that the DNR is out there killing the weeds and stirring them up, but just like a lot of the lakes in the area, there is a mid summer die-off of most of the submerged vegetation. Once it dies, it is pretty easily moved around just from boat traffic and wave action. Its probably a good time to find carp munchin' on some grub.

As for earlier in the year, once the season opens there are a lot of good lakes for bowfishing. The clear ones are easier to find the fish, but it also makes it harder to get close to them. The chain near Richmond is always a good bet and the crow river anywhere will have its share of green monsters cruising up and down it. The channel between Rice and Koronis could use a little thinning of the rough fish too!

Good Luck

A good source on finding out what lakes are good for bow fishing are Brian or Keith at Mike's Archery. I know Brian runs a tournament on Clearwater and is president of the state bow fishing.

This is a good start. Thanks for the input

Keith doesn't work there anymore. Brian and Mike really know there stuff. Think Buffalo Lake wink.gif

Try below any of the dams in the area. They grow 'em big in the river.