• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

One Month to Go!!

We have just 31 days left until the opener!

What lake(s) will you be hitting at midnight or the next morning looking for the first catch of the season?

Any opener traditions that you follow from year to year?

Good Luck!

I myself am more of a hard water fisherman, but the opener is the only open water weekend I regularly hit anymore. We camp and have my sister and brother-in-law with his boat come and hit marion. last year, we all did really well!! hopefully this year will be better, especially the weather. it got below freezing at night!!

Limitout, I myself will be hitting a few lakes at midnight and shortly after. I will try Washington/Stella, Jennie, the crow river and of course my specialty lake X. And after sunrise I might give Minniebelle a try.

You never said where you will be going. ]

ff

I'll be at your Lake X. grin.gif

I never know where I'll try first. Heck, one year I didn't decide to go out at midnight until about 10pm! Ended up being a great night though as I got a nice 8+lber. I was pretty tired by sunrise when the rain started, but I was already home by that time listening to it in bed.

I try to avoid Washington as that's typically a zoo. I know most lakes are on the opener, but that one seems especially bad. I'll probably sneak onto a smaller lake a couple hours before sunrise, but Minnie Belle, Stella, Collinwood, and Jennie are all on my list right now.

Don't have a tradition besides big stone opener in two and half weeks. But as far as minnesota opener, I probably will head north to lake reno, depending on the weather. Did the midnight thing there last year and ended up catching some nice eyes, so maybe again this year. Otherwise I'll be fishing some of the willmar/spicer area lakes. Goodluck to everyone this upcoming opener.

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss opening day. First time in years, but my brother graduates from college that day, so I'm heading for that. But, I will be fishing the Sunday. I'll be hitting either Hook, Erie or possibly even Belle, although Belle has been a tough bite for me over the past 4 years.

No specific opener traditions except to hit a lake north of Hutch.

lmitout, I forgot about collinwood, that can be one of the hottest opening lakes in the area. I will put that on my list along with big Kandi. Maybe ill see ya on lake X. ff

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we're down to under a week left before the season!

What is everyone's outlook for the opener after our cool weather snap the past few weeks? I haven't had the boat in the water for a few weeks, but I've heard the water temp dropped. Should be an interesting opener.

Appears to be cooler for this week as well, but right now not much indication of rain for the weekend in the forcast.

So far the outlook isn't too bad for the opener. Something like low 60's for highs each day (with lows in the lower 40's). If it holds, that will be pretty decent weather comparitively. However, we all know that could change day by day.

My notes from last years opener was that the water surface temp was about 56 degrees. We caught walleyes along the weedline in about 10' of water on the lake we fished. This year might be colder, I don't know since I haven't seen the boat yet this year and haven't gotten out to fish and check water temps. But, I'm going to use the same approach as last year and go from there. Jig & minnow fishing very slowly....almost vertical, but not quite.

Well, it looks like we're the ones that got hooked by the weatherman for the opener again. What was once said to be 60° earlier in the week, is now in the 40's with plenty o' wind by mid-morning.

I wasn't planning on going out at midnight, but that might be the nicest weather we'll have until Sunday when the wind finally blows itself out. With that wind and temperatures, we won't need any rain to make it any colder out in the boat.

Good luck everybody! Hope to read about some good times had this weekend. grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.