• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabela's reels

Ralph Wiggum

Question

I looking to buy a mid-priced spinning reel and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Cabela's reels. Are they decent? Any suggestions on which models to go with.

14 answers to this question

I've got a Pflueger Trion that's 2-3 years old and like it. You're impressed, too?

If you are going to spend $70 try a Quantum. These have turned out to be the best reels I have ever had.

I'm a Shimano man - in love with my Symetre......I've seen them on sale for about $70. Usually around $80 though, I believe. I did pick up a Sedona (I believe thats what it is) on clearance at Galyan's last year for less than $30 - and so far it is every bit as good as the Symetre.

I also am a Shimano guy. I have the Sedona and recently stepped up a bit to the Sahara. The Sahara is very smooth and easy on the wallet

Ralph,

Getting back to your original question about Cabela's reels. I just recieved my first Cabela's reel yesterday, so I can't give you an honest assesment yet. But I'm not worried. I've bought hundreds maybe thousands of dollars worth of Cabela's name brand products over the years and have always been very satisfied.

I have a Cabelas bait casting reel, and have not been impressed. The drag is not solid, the tension seems to move around, and does not work at all in the winter for trout fishing. I don't have direct experience with the spinning reels though.

Okay, anyone experienced a Pflueger rod? Cabela's has the President spinning reel with a Pflueger IM8 rod for $80! This seems like quite a deal to me unless the rod is junk.

$80 for an IM8 and a reel seems like a good deal to me, regardless of brand!

I have no experience with Cabela's reels, but Bass Pro makes a heck of a baitcaster!