Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scsavre

Crappies on Pelican

8 posts in this topic

This is my first time posting, but I have been getting info from you guys for years.

Im going to pelican this weekend for some crappie fishing and assuming the lake will be ice free if not open already. Every year I get up there right when the ice goes out, and just hammer crappie after crappie. This is one of my favorite trips of the year because crappies are usually between 10-13 inches with an occational 15. Not to mention the excitement of catching a few dozen bass ranging between 1-5 pounds on crappie gear. It is also pretty common to see a couple dozen monster muskies in the shallows getting some sun.

Someone please post back when you know the ice conditions, I would hate to get up there to soon from St. Paul.

By the way I am also a muskyhunter 40+ fish between 30 and 51 inches last year DL area and Bemidji area. And some of that not as much fun city fishing.

scsavre, I'll do a little checking on this for you and get back to you. Would you mind shooting me an e-mail at: scootsfishing at yahoo dot com

I drove by on Sunday and it looked like half the lake was open. The inlet by Zorbaz was open a ways out into the lake.

It will be open by this weekend, most lakes are 80% ice free. With the rain the last 2 days, the ice has taken a beating even with the colder temps. Always wanted to try Pelican for crappies, may have to give it a try, their's just so many lakes to fish with not enough time.

Fisherdog

Just curious if you can catch some crappies from shore? I am a poor college student without a boat. Good luck guys

You can absolutley fish from shore. This time of year fishing is made for poor college kids. All diferent species from all diferent areas of the lake come up to find the warmest water, and the easiest meal. Hint shallow dark bottom bays, best bet is usually on the North side of lakes.

By the way where do you go to college, I just finished at Bemidji.

Never fished Pelican for Crappies but there is a good crappie lake just south of Frazee that is really good from shore. I know how it feels to be the college student...Hopefully 1 1/2 yrs here yet. I agree with the other post look for shallower muddy bottom lakes/bays that will be best for this time of the year and on a personal level I think standing/dead reeds hold the crappies best this time of the year.

I usually like to try muddy bottoms too, especially when the sun is beating down on it or the wind is pushing the warmer water into it.