Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deeky

deer hair?

7 posts in this topic

Do any of you spin deer hair for flies such as muddler's, hopper patterns, or bass bugs? If so, do you use body hair or bucktail? Is there a difference in consistency between the two to affect the result? I've messed around with the bucktail some, but can't get it to flare like it appearantly is supposed to. Thanks.

Deeky

Definitely body hair. The body hair is hollow like a soda straw and pinching it with the thread is what makes it flair. I've tried it with some success, but my downfall is with the scissors. I'm proned to over-trim.

Craig

I don't do much spinning but those who do swear by razor blades. They supposedly trim much neater and easier than scissors. Maybe that would make spinning more enjoyable?

The "gold standard" is northern whitetail belly hair, which is available in natural white and dyed to about every color of the rainbow. If you want a nice gray-tan hair with which to practice flaring and spinning, you might acquire some caribou hair. Antelope spins easily, too. Both are somewhat softer than deer hair, so they don't make great bass bugs, but you can do mouse patterns and muddler heads with either.

Technique and equipment enter in, too. Make sure you have good, strong thread. Flymaster Plus is one option. I use Kevlar thread, but some have complained that it abrades bobbin tubes. I have not had that problem. From there it's a matter of getting the hair cleaned of underfur and learning how much to work with at one time. It also pays to cut off the tapered tips of the hair after you've cut the hair from the hide. Hope that helps.

You have already got some good advice on hair so I won't beat a dead horse. When you get to triming the hair get yourself some double edge razor blades. They are much sharper than the single edge. You can make a makeshift handle out of a popsicle stick if you want. If you have access to a trimmer for dogs they work real nice to do the rough shaping or a scissors can get you by.

One last thing - you may as well get the vacuum out before you even start. Your gonna need it. smirk.gif

ice shack is correct. You will have a mess on your hands once you start trimming the hair, but that is the best part. It's cool to see your big flies go from gawdy and formless to something that actually looks like a fly. I'd recommend buying popper bodies if you are into poppers instead of spinning them. Much easier to use a pre-formed popper body instead of spinning one.

Spinning hair bugs is as close to art as you can get with a bass fly. It's true that foam bodies are easier...way easier!...but I love a good hair bug. Hair flies cast and pick-up easier than I trim with scissors and use a double-edged razor blade to shape fine. I don't like the kevlar thread because it will occasionally cut the hair.