• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Painting/Resurfacing Steel Trailer

bgfish00

Question

Does any one have any recommendations for Painting or Resurfacing a Steel Trailer. My Deck is staring to get a bit rusty after a couple of years. Would like to bring back a decent appearance. Would those truck bedliner kits work? Any Help appreciated. I would like to keep the effort and $ to a minimum.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I will be applying Herculiner to my trailer when it starts getting rusty. I've done the back of my truck and it is great stuff. Extremely durable and no maintenance. I just bought another quart to do the racks on my ATV. You can get the kit from Menards for under $50 when they have the rebate deal going, the kit does the entire bed of a full size truck easily. I think they have different colors available now also.

I've used Herculiner type compounds for various applications and have had GREAT luck with it. Looks good, very chip resisitant and seems to last forever...

My only suggestion would be to make sure ALL the rust has been neutralized or removed AND the surface is 100% dry before you apply the product. No sense in just applying a "band-aid" over a bad spot. Fix the problem before you make it pretty.

Like Moose Hunter said, make sure ALL the rust is removed. Applying a product over the top of active rust seals any moisture in and can actually accelerate the corrosion. Sandblasting is probably the most effective way. Otherwise sanding and using one of many various abrasive wheels designed for that, works too. Also, make sure that you put an acid-etch or at least an epoxy primer over the bare metal. The bedliners will stick, but they provide no corrosion resistance and if there is a chip in the future, it will rust again and spread quickly.