• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trout or crappies?

I am getting the itch to wet a line on some open water. I am not very familiar with the area, but I go to school in Marshall. I am just looking for some catch and release crappie or trout action. Any idea where to fish trout in the Redwood would be great. I am hoping to get out Saturday afternoon and Tuesday next week.

Not sure about where to find any trout back there. But, I'd check Lake Benton or Shetek for crappies. Do you still work at PB's? You'd think you could get some decent hot spots working there.

They stock browns every year in Camden State Park just south of Marshall. You might want to call first to see if they've stock them yet or not, don't think too many of them survive from year to year. I did get one crappie and alot of little bluegills about 2 weeks ago at Brawner Lake, also in Camden. I fish Brawner about 5 times a year and that's the first crappie I've ever caugt, so they're not real plentiful. Haven't heard any info about any other lakes yet this year.

Thanks for the info guys. I do still work at Borchs, but it seems like everyone is fishing for bullheads. I haven't heard any fishing reports yet so I thought I would try here. The reason I asked about trout is because the fisheries guy was in here yesterday. I think he said they are releasing trout into the Redwood this week and next. I didn't ask where they dumped them in so I was looking for a place to start. Chirodoc, not real familiar with the park, do you just drive in park and start walking along the river?

I used to fish for trout in ramsey creek just west of redwood. They usually release them under a bridge about 3/4 of a mile off highway 19. Im not sure if they release them there anymore or not. Another place i've caught them before is in ramsey park below the falls in the pool. Its been a few years but those are a few places to go looking around redwood. good luck. post your results if you try it out.

A good place to start in Camden is by the swimming beach. When you pull in, follow the signs. There is a bridge to get to the swimming beach and I've seen them hanging around there before. That's the only decent spot that I know of, so you might want to ask the park ranger for more info. BTW, talked to some people fishing the outlet (or is it inlet?) of Shetek right on Hwy. 59 on Wed. They said the crappies were going good before the rains hit last weekend. Nobody had caught anything that day. Good luck! chirodoc