• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gunsmith for antique shotgun

Ralph Wiggum

Hi all,

A few months ago I came into posession of my great-grandfather's 16 gauge shotgun. I've found a little information on it, but I'd like to have it checked out to see if it's shootable. (I wouldn't hunt with it, but it'd be neat to shoot occasionally for the nostalgia!) Anyways, I've been told it's a Marlin Model 31 hammerless pump-action built from 1914-1917. Can anyone recommend a reasonable and reputable guy to check it out? I live in Brooklyn Park.

Thanks!

rjbielat at hotmail dot com

Ralph, my suggestion is to have it checked out. Then take it out and shoot one duck or one pheasant with it and then retire it for good.

As far as having it checked out I would try Aschmann's (not sure of the spelling) they are located north of Mankato and I've had them work on a couple of older guns for me and they did a good job.

Enjoy it.

p.s. If you could find a picture of your great-grandfather I would hang the 16ga over a fireplace and place the picture on the mantle.

Ralph, There's a smith in St. Boni just west of the cities on Highway 7 that I would trust with any gun I own. He's been at it a lot of years and knows what he's doing. His name is Palmer Raysor and he runs the Gun Stop West. Good man.

Allmans in Morristown should be able to help. Located 10 minutes west of faribault.

Agree with Allmans in Morristown. Have had them do alot of barrell work on one of my rifles and redo my dads old remington. Both jobs were A-1 first class jobs.Maybe not the cheapest,but thier work and knowledge is worth something.

Marlin Model 31 Hammerless Slide Action Repeater - Similar to Model 28 except scaled down for 16 and 20 gage. Bbls: 25"(20ga.), 26" (16 ga), 28" either ga. All w/matted top, standard chokes. Weight of the 16ga about 6.75lbs. Pistol grip stock, grooved slide handle, checkering on higher grades. Straight grip stock optional on Model 31D. Made 1915-1917, Model 31A until 1922.

Values (circa 2002, NRA excellent) - 31A: $315, 31B:$425, 31C: $550, 31D: $1200.

Also there was a Model 31F, same as 31B except 25" bbl, M choke, straight or pistol grip stock. Made 1915-1917:$375

That's be the gun, RiverKarhu. It's got a 26" barrel and I believe it's the 31A--pistol grip, no checkering or engraving.