• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kab opener

Last year was the first year I did the opener on Kab and we more or less struck out. Saturday we had nothing all day, until that evening when we picked up 8 in about an hour. Unfortunately, we didn't get to fish Sunday. I was curious if it was the water temps that caused it, and they finally warmed up enough Sat. night to get some males to bite, or did I just swing and miss? How was Sunday compared to Saturday? We are headed up again this year and I was looking for advice. Thanks for any help.

g man

Where were you on Kab. We fish out of Ash river and did pretty good on Sat, but they were all over the slot. Same on Sun. I don’t think the day warm up did anything, but I ould be wrong.

Our fish came during the day in shallow water (less than 15’) and fishing was no better at the end of the day.

Last year was a strange year; hopefully this year will be better, with some slot fish biting.

By the way we also were up towards the end of June thinking things would be better and we got skunked. - Go figure - .

We were also up there last year on opener and we didnt catch any slot fish. But the fish we did catch were nice. I hear the slot fish were comming out of deeper water though. We caught the most at night between 8-11 p.m.

We first tried lindy rigs with leeches and minnows. Then tried jigging. When moving between two points we graphed a ton of fish in 32 feet of water. We pulled some reef runners through there and picked up some northerns. Then tried the lindy rigs again at that depth and didn't catch anything. That night we went to a shallower bay and slip bobber fished and ended up catching the eight and missing a few. Should I have tried something else?

We tried a lot of things and did graph a lot of suspended fish.

I don’t think you were any worse off than anyone else fishing last years opener.

I don’t think the leeches are a big thing at that time of year but the minnows and jigs are usually good.

Last year we did good with a small hook, split shot, and minnow, drifting very slow. They didn’t seem to like a lot of junk thrown at them, plain and simple seemed to be the

way to go.

Kab Opener, A key part of early success is knowing the water temps and whether or not the fish have spawned or not. The last few years it seems as tho most of the smaller fish are in the deep water, 30-40 ft., and the larger females are still in the shallower water. Check the deep water with jigs and minnows. Gold and silver are good early season. If the water temps are in the mid 50's in the warm bays, long line lindy's with minnows also. Remember, the bays on the northside of the lake warm faster.. Good Luck Fishkab

Let’s keep this going.

This year looks like we could get an earlier than normal ice out. I don’t know about anyone else, but this gets me pumped.

It pretty much depends on how the next few weeks go but the forecast is encouraging and hopefully holds true. If things go as planned with the weather, would anyone change their battle plans?

By that I was wondering about different baits or depths.

Our plan stays the same. Find some fish and catch them. If we can't do that then there is always Dick's, Pokorney's, or Rocky Ledge.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to keep this one going as well. Does anyone know what some current temps are? I think we are going to come up Thursday and claim our island for the weekend, and try some crappie fishing on Friday. One question keeps popping into my head from last year. Here's the scenario:

From the previous posts, we couldn't find any fish until Saturday night. We anchored and did the light up bobber thing. For a short period of time we did very well, than nothing. There is a shallower soft bottom bay with reeds that was next to the rock pile we were on. Do you guys think trolling rapalas in the shallows later in the evening would produce there?

The weather was so good a couple of weeks ago and then went crappy. I just wonder if we are ahead or behind on the spawning calendar? If any of you, that are in the area, and have been out, care to share the temps and your thoughts I’m sure there are a bunch of us that would like to hear the results. Can’t wait for the opener no matter what the answer is.

I've been kicking myself for not at least trying that last year. I think we were a little too anxious to get back to the campfire. If nothing else, I hope it's a little warmer this year. It's a sort of uncomfortable sleeping in a tent when it's in the teens!!

I’m ready, anyone else.

Will be heading up Friday sometime, hopefully in time to do some crappie fishing. If not I hope we can at least get settled and have a couple of cool ones at the resort.

I can’t wait, everything is coming on fast and we’re ready to go.

Everyone have a safe trip, and good fishing to all.

I'll second that. We are going to come up Thursday evening, and try to fish all day Friday. Anyone know how the crappies are doing? Also, I see that someone posted surface temps of 55 degrees? Is it that warm already? One final to go.....

The 55 degree water temp is likely a mistake. We had warm, actually hot sunny days near the end of last week: and if anyone took the surface temp. when the lake was flat...the readings aren't accurate. I'd guess we're looking at temp's in the mid to upper 40's...possibly around 50 degrees for opener!

It should be warmer waters than last season...a more "typical" Kabetogama early season temp.

GOOD LUCK to all FM readers...we'll see you on the water!

We'll be heading up to Pine Aire on Sat. AM and staying until Wednesday. I'm hoping the weather and the walleyes cooperate, but after 18 years of opening weekends, I know to expect the unexpected. It's funny, I don't pack this many clothes for ice fishing! Give a hail on the VHF this weekend and I'll buy you a beer. (Channel 26)

Satchmo , Ill be on Namakan Island fri til sun. Give me a ring ( if theres signal) 763-226-0378

Satchmo,

We stay at Pine Aire, too, only a little later in the year. Do you go up any other time during the year?

Kab Dreamin',

Nice fish in your pic - who did you steal that from?

Marina day started off well - guy tagged a rock between Chase and Pine - go figure, huh? We usually leave that maneuver up to the VNPS! I think that rock is one of their faves....I haven't heard a fishing report but the rocks be bitin'!

Rain and small hail on Kab and a "balmy" 44 with a wind chill of 36 at 4 pm. Can't believe I'm not wearing hip boots and cleaning 1/2 froze fish! Boy, I miss THAT! All the hardy souls that did venture out deserve some walleyes in the pan tonight!

Well I planned on getting out this PM but lousy weather, and poor fishing reports kept me and my partner off. Early reports were that the fish were not in the shallows as expected, the typical shallow bay action was not to be had. It seems like the only place to fish at this time will be the deeper waters. I got a few good reports from folks fishing in the 25-28' range, jig and minnow.

Nicer weather moving in, things should look up if temps move up as they predict, Sun.PM and Monday should set the pace. guts

Steal? Did you say steal? I happened to have caught that baby on Mille Lacs out on Lakeside Reef. It was 28"er and it hit a black 1/8 oz fuzzy grub tipped with a leech at about 5:00PM a year ago on Labor Day. The wind was out of the NW at about 15 mph and the barometer was steady, but then, who's keeping track of details?

We didn't get out of Saturday, but Christopher and I made it out on Sunday. No walleyes, one 12-13 lb Northern (I even have pictures I will send you later) and 8 sunnies for dinner.

Ya gotta love those lower unit replacements. Paid for a couple of those in the past. Just for the record, I never go between Chase and Pine. The hair on the back of my neck goes up even thinking about it.

How come Kab never gets the governor's opener? Probably too many rocks.

Dreamin',

Yeah, nice fish. Did you happen to reel in it's seeing eye dog at the same time?

That's a nice northern for Tonka, isn't it? Send on the photos - would like to see Christopher in one - hear he's getting tall??

Kab was a slow one, from what I hear. Weather was nasty but it's been warmer today and yesterday (like 65) but the darn wind won't relent and it blows from a different direction every day! Hopefully things will settle down and the fishing will improve.

Yeah, I know you, as well as I, avoid the Chase/Pine short cut. But I used to see the Big Bob boat sitting off the SE corner of Chase by the cabin...Woodrow loved that spot too...now I hear the cabin is gone...along w/ Watson's old cabin on Sugar Bush and many others.

The Governor's Opener was on Kab in '82 - Gov. Quie. The Woodman and many others put in a lot of work on that. I would love to see it happen again. Rainy does a great job getting it every 4 years...hats off to them! We need to do someting here to shake business up....we need some good fishing to hit soonly!

Have a good one - will keep you posted....

Yeah, my dad used to fish that corner of Chase a lot. He was a great subscriber to the theory that if you caught one fish in a spot, you fish the s!@t out of it everytime you drive past it for the next 20 years. I think he caught one walleye there in 1977 and maybe another in the 80's sometime. I can't even begin to tell you the number of hours I have spent in the boat there with him dragging bait around with no bites. Sure wish I could do it again.

I'll send pictures of the northern as soon as I get the roll developed

Hey there Kab Dreamin'. Sorry it took so long. Just pulled in the driveway from up there, and the fishing was definately on the tough side this go around. We did manage to pick up 20 or so 'eyes on Sunday, but only two in the slot. The cold water and cold front seems to have the fish fairly hunkered down right now. You really have to work for 'em. I usually make it up to Kab four to six times throughout the seasons. We go on opener, memorial, a week in July w/ the family, and a couple times in the fall. I also take every opportunity that pops up in between my scheduled trips. It never seems to be enough though. The water is up and the slot fish are deep. Hope things kick into gear about 10 days from now, cause we're bringing the boys with.

I'm not getting up there until the first week of August mad.gif. We're having a family reunion up there. I worked my way through college as a dockboy at Pine Aire in the early to mid 80's and whenever I get there it's a little like going home.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me make a September trip but because she finds me irresistible, it's hard to convince her to let me leave.

Good luck on the next trip and let us know how you do. It'll give me something to dream about until August.