Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceHawk

Who's opening locally

12 posts in this topic

Is anyone else opening the walleye season locally? If so what lake? I plan on opening my season on the Horseshoe chain of lakes again this opener. My lure of choice to start will once again be a jig and minnow. The opener should be great locally, the ice came off a little early and the water temps should be prime by opening day.

I will be on horseshoe. Shinners and slip sinkers for me. It should be a great opener. It has been so cold that last two years. The walleyes didn't start biting until June and then the scattered a couple of weeks later. Plus all of those little walleyes I have been feeding the past two years will be over a pound. I picked up a couple last fall and they had all grown up over the summer. Should be fun.

I will be out on Rice for opener. Father in law gave me his boat, which I just picked up last night, so I won't have to fish from the dock this year as I have the past 3 years. I tend to run helicopter rigs w/ leeches and fatheads. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm thinking Koronis or Rice if I stick around. If I do it will be after dark. Just too many folks who don't normally fish during the day on that weekend. Since it doesn't fall on mothers day weekend I may venture a bit further. Maybe Big Stone(usually abondoned on the opener weekend) or Mille Lacs(again fishing after dark).

the river for me

hey chris long time no talk. this is trevor from bauerlys.im probably going to open this year on the whitefish chain.

gotta stick with tradition and open on the 'sip...

never been skunked!

SA/wdw

I'll probably be opening on Sugar, if it doesn't get too packed. Anyone know how it is on the opener? Otherwise, my buddy is coming from Isanti and he has a spot on the Horseshoe chain where, as he says,"You catch walleyes like sunfish, one after another!". That was last year. Hopefully, if he's right, and they're still in "his spot", it'll be a great time.

I'm with Borch on this one. There's too many non-fishermen out, so I have rarely fished opening weekend. Walleye anyways. I think last year I was up on the north shore landing steelies.

I like to stay close to home on opener. I will fish one of the Spunk lakes for eyes and crappies. The following weekend i will hit one of the birch lakes or a lake in the Motely area.

I'll try my luck out on Norway this year, this trip is more about getting together and fishing, the drinking usually impairs our catching. Then it's off for a more serious trip to Winnie, there you can catch em' like sunfish(only they are'nt the same size as sunfish wink.gif. Good luck to all of you.

Looking to start up a little annual opener trip with some buddies at a lake, but it will probably fall through and we will just probably end up fishing the Mrs. Sippi.