Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish'n guy

Flathead Location Question?

9 posts in this topic

Will Flatheads relate to an area with a 14' deep hole lots of brush and trees in the head of the hole in about 5'-6'of water with current running through it? I know Flatheads like deep water with lots of wood but in this area the wood is in shallow water ahead of the deep hole with not quite as much cover.

If there are Flatheads in this area would they feed in the deeper area or move ahead of the wood onto the flat with scatted wood?

This I think is a potential good spot I am just wondering what the flatheads would be doing in this area from somebody with some experience.

THanks to any help and GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishn -

could be a couple flatties in this area. But kinda hard to say without really seeing how the layout is. (i.e. structure up and down the river from this hole) and how the current is "flowing through" or how the snag creates any current breaks and edges.

Early season high water, I look more at fast water and current breaks. If there are flatties in there, they will make there way forward into the shallow area late at night. Pre-spawn they might be up there earlier. (Pre-spawn I catch most of my flatties in shallow water) If I was going to camp out, for the night, I would probably position in front of those snags.

It doesn't sound like this snag will be a big producer later in the summer though when the river drops 4-5 more feet. But without seeing the hole or stretch of river it is hard to say.

What stretch of the river was this in? If it was anywhere in the Judson to courtland area and you have a pic of the snag. I can probably identify and let you know if I have fished it or looked the other way on this hole smile.gif (FYI - my "home stretch" of river is the Judson to New Ulm stretch even though I now live in the cities)

Like korn said, Its hard to say not knowing the surrounding area but it sounds like a good spot to try....the hole during the day and the shallows above it at dusk. The flatheads aren't real active (yet) but all you can do is fish the spot and see what happens. I caught my first flatty last year about this time (on cut bait) but haven't tried this year yet.....maybe this week.

Hey Korn, We'll have to get together this year again...Hopefully no owls up in the trees next to the boat this time eh? grin.gif

DARK -

We will have to hook up again. I totally forgot about that owl!!! this coming weekend I am taking the GF out for a trip on the river. the following weekend I want to scope out the Jordan to Belle Plain area (weather permitting). If your up for it, I will keep the seat open smile.gif

Korn, I'll be fishing trout for the next few week ends. I will be trying during the week though. When late May and June come along. we'll have to give er a shot! wink.gif

Theres been a good amount of rain now mostly upstream from Kato and I got close to an inch. That ought to wake the creeks up good and whats good for the creeks is good for the river. I just hope it doesn't get too high and dirty like last year.

Thanks guys for the input smile.gif!!! With the creeks rising as well as the river that should hopefully pull in some fish into the creek mouths.

Do channels come into the creek mouths when the river gets High? I have snagged some on the back when casting for walleyeslast summer, But never tried for them although there was a ton of baitfish!!!

GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!

This fresh rain comming through the shed should get things starting ok.

The minnows relate heavily to the creeks. Any fish that feeds on the minnows will be close by although it seems the larger catfish stay closer to the river itself. Walleyes will travel further up a small creek and become more active towards dark. Really high water can produce an area that is out of the main river current and has relatively calm water. This "zone" can stretch from only a few feet to hundreds of yards and be very productive.

When the river is low enough, feeder creeks and small rivers that fall directly into deeper river water can be a hoot. Remember that when there is a prime feeding opportunity for the big guys it may be hard to compete with your own presentation though.

Where exactly I myself fish depends on the river flow rate, stage, and how dirty it is. There are no two spots exactly alike but they all relate to what the river conditions are. I let the river itself tell me where to fish....Today, I'll get out of dodge and try the Miss downtown grin.gif

Thanks for the info DARK!!!

GOOD FISHIN!!!!

Heck I catchem in 2 feet of water, if it looks fishy fishit.