Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
protrapper

Smelting Question's And Answers

5 posts in this topic

Smelter's,

Just thought we could get some good info rollong here on smelting the point and the rivers.

Nets, dip and seine, waders, gloves etc.

My smelting used to consist of using wire dip nets near home on the Cascade, Devils Track and Stewert Rivers.This year I plan on hitting the point with you guys. The waders I like are my 5m neoprene Hodgemens, shoulder length trapping gauntlent gloves. The best gloves for smelting. And a nice head lamp.

Now my questions are about seine nets. How much are the Christiansons? What's the advantage over the Frabill? I'm thing of getting the 20 foot Frabill. What is the best size to get? And what should I use for poles?

I have not smelted since I was in high school, so I would like to get back into it.

Thanks, and hope we can meet up.

Jim

Any spring beaver action for you?

I run 2x2 x 8' wood poles, they give you a ton of leverage and make rolling up the net an ease. I also use my shoulder length trapping gloves (and also my partner, because no trapper carries only one pair of gloves) they help for reaching under the water to get the bottom pulled tight as you approach shore with the seign. I have had buddies try and smelt with canvas/rubber waders, they froze, while I was overheating in my 5 mm neo's.

A headlamp is a given, also a good latern near your pales is also very nice for being able to see when you have to place that net full on shore!

Christiansen are the Cadillac of nets and will cost 4 times that of a Frabil.

They do work better for a few reasons, materials is one of them and better built. They tend to allow for more belly top to bottom belly in the net which helps trap the smelt. 2" PVC schedual 40 pipe works great for handles. One thing is to not stretch out the net too much when you tie the net off. You also can have a sock made into the center of the Christiansen net.

Nut,

Have caught a few beaver. Went down south for awhile where I longline coon, and mink. The ice went quick there. Up this way still some snow on the logging roads and some ice to deal with. Last year I reall didn't start to really trap hard till the 20th of April cause of snow and ice. Caught 44 one day.

Want to get a few smelt for bait. My bullhead guy might be outta business next fall. I used to use herring and smelt and that worked just as good as the bullheads.

Hope we can hook up and pull some smelt.

Jim

Picked up a 20 foot Frabill today for 20 bucks. Put it together using the wood poles. The 2 inch pvc tube looked a little to thick and would be hard to handle. Slippery wise that is. Looks pretty crude, put some lead decoy weights on the bottom to help hold the net down.

Now all I need is someone to pull with to see if it holds up. grin.gif I think I'm ready to pull.....