• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st open water crappie limit of the season.

The son and I were on two lakes this saturday morning. One lake gave up a crappie in 24 feet of water. After going deep and shallow and fighting the wind, we swithed over to Be bee lake as the The second lake and hit the crappies in 4 feet of water. the sunnies going nuts. We took two limits of crappies and threw back 5 times as many. It Would have been an excellent day for the young kids. Got a sun burn/ wind burn to boot..

Water temp was 46 Dg in 4ft of water.

CT.

We got into them as well on Tonka.

We found 48 and 54 degree water. The fish were up shallow-2-5 ft. We caught over 2 limits, but only brought home 1 limit, and all but 2 were females.

The wind was a bear, but it was good to get the boat in the water, and have something tugging on yer string!

Glenn

Wow! Nice job... What were you using for lures? Were you using live bait.. etc.. I have such rotten luck each year with panfish.

I was the son in the above mentioned post.

We used flu-flus, 1/32 oz in size, and rat finkies, coupled with minnows or Berkley Gulp worms.

Coincidentally, all but 2 of the Crappies I cleaned were Males.

Can't wait to get out again.

We were using hand tied 1/32oz white jig-heads with crappie minnows. Fishing them about 18-24 inches down.

Glenn

We were on Minnetonka on Sunday afternoon back in the Black and Seton Lakes area. The crappies were scattered but were biting when you found them. No huge slabbers but decent enough to keep. The sunnies were biting like crazy but nothing with any size, just some eaters. We kept enough for a meal. It sure was nice to feel a fish at the end of the line again. We used 1/32nd oz flu-flu's and either a minnow or wax worm under a slip bobber. We also tried the new Gulp earthworms. The sunnies love them and you can catch 25-30 sunnies on one before its gone and you only need to use about 1/3 of one on the jig. Good stuff. We probably caught 150-175 fish total for day. Can't wait for next weekend.

Kab,

I was on Tonka in the same area last evening also. Sunnies were going nuts everywhere, but only managed to find one crappie in Black frown.gif.

What depth were you guys fishing?? I gave Black a shot Friday evening but was in 12 to 15 ft at entrance channel to Seaton - nothing wanted to bite. They were on the sonar and would come up the the jig but then swim away.

We were fishing in the channel that leads into West Arm. They are putting in a retaining wall there and we were anchored right up next to the orange construction fence. The depth there is about 6-7' max. It seemed like a small pod of them would come in and you would catch 2 or 3 and then nothing for awhile. We'd move 20 or 30 yards and catch a couple more. I think that with a little more warm weather this week, they will be thick enough to walk on in there next weekend.

My partner tied into a pretty good sized Northern or Muskie but we never got a look at it. With 4lb line, the fish just headed west like we weren't even there.

Just got back from a great day on the water. I took the day off from work and was able to put a few more hours on the new boat. Fished a NW metro lake with my dad and caught a crappie on nearly every cast. The majority were small, but it was a lot of fun. Didn't even need live bait, caught every fish on a white flu-flu with the same white power grub. If anybody knows a better jig for spring crappies than a white flu-flu, I sure would like to know about it, because that jig outfishes everything I have ever thrown. Also caught a couple "bull" sunnies, a big whisker-bass (aka bullhead), and a nice healthy 2 lb largemouth. I thought I had another 2lb + bass on until I got it to the boat and realized it was a crappie. It was by far the biggest crappie I had ever seen and was easily 2 lbs. I luckily had my camera phone with, (I knew there was a reason I needed that feature on my new phone) snapped a picture, and put her back in the lake. Overall it was a great day, the crappie bite is definately on!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.