Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SAR5

introduce myself and tackle questions

7 posts in this topic

Hello, i posted a little intro on myself on the open water forum. My father took me to Leech lake fishing when I was ten. it was the best time i had. Now twenty some years latter i am taking him back to Leech lake to the same resort we stayed in back then. I have lots of questions on what to bring and how to use it. walleye and northern are the primary fishing goal. What king of tackle should I get. What should i stock my tackle box with? I am going the last week of May beginning of June around Birch ridge Resort. Thank you for your time.Any tips and help would be appreciated.

First off, welcome to the forum! Second, I'd recommend you have a good assortment (size, color) jigs. You don't have to get fancy, just regular round ball jigs work well in most applications. Check into the scenic tackle pro series jigs at tackle city they're a site sponser. I also like the Northland Fireball jigs. You'll probably also want to pick up some spinner rigs and lindy rigs. You can get some nice spinner rigs from JRs Tackle I picked some up at the sports show and their paints are awesome, plus there a sponser. grin.gif Just a few tips for you, I'm sure others will chime in! Hope that gets you started. Good Luck!

Welcome aboard. If you haven't fished Leech for awhile you will probably find the water much clearer than you remember, so you'll want clear water tackle. That means light line for long casts and while you do need a decent variety of colors the natural patterns will probably work best.

Welcome Sar5. Good post above, for walleyes on leech I can carry my tackle in one pocket. 99% of the time in May/June I use jig minnow or plain snell minnow. A short shanked hook works best for me and most people regarding the jig. Shiner minnows most likely will be the ticket that time of year, throw some crawlers in the boat just in case. I'd also suggest looking into getting a guide for day one of your trip. He can set you up with a week full of good fishing you wouldn't otherwise know about. Also...keep posted here and we'll be glad to throw some ideas your way.

I don't fish Leech all that much, hardly at all actually, but I have friends who do. This is going to bug them but I'll give you their secret anyway becouse I like the whole "father son thing" (and like I said I don't fish Leech). LIME GREEN FIRE BALL JIGS TIPPED WITH A SHINER!!! ooo.gifOoo! That felt good! I've held that secret for so long without ever once even using it for myself...what a relief.

Don't hate me fellas, I'm a sucker for a good family fishing outing.

Yeah that is a hot color, but you need to switch to a leech on that jig after the water temp reaches the mid 60's or so.

Thanks for the great info so far. Hip hop, Leechlake, thanks for the welcome, Netman thank you for the great confidential info I am going to the store today! Thanks 2Dalake for the temp info. This is going to help make it a great time for Pop and Me.