Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danfall

ACID WASH

10 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Need to find out how to acid wash alum boat, type of acid, whether to wash after sanding and before paint, etc.. Thanks.

Dan

OK.

It is a Lund red boat. I plan to sand it down and would like to get the unpainted surfaces shined up, and paint the painted surfaces. I didn't see any acid wash details in the forums but I just found a search method.

Dan

Go to your local auto parts store and tell them you need acid wash like they use on truck aluminum. It can be pricy but does not take much for a boat. I used it on an older lund I use to have. Really brightens up the aluminum. Apply it using a small pump-up lawn sprayer. Sray on a dry surface, wait a minute then wash off. Make sure you wash out the srayer immediately when you are done. It may take more than one time if the boat is really bad.

Good Luck

Hold on here boys! Be carefull! I use a product called Zing for my aluminum boat-This is specifically designed for aluminum boats. Works awesome.

My neighbor tried some acid stuff that he used for his semi trailor... It bleached it white as a ghost and took him hours to buff it out.

You can buy zing in most boat dealerships. It is like $9.00.

An acid wash is to prep aluminum for painting. It removes oxides and etches the metal for the paint to stick. It is not designed as a polish. You can acid wash the part you are going to paint but not recommended for bare aluminum u want to polish. Just try any good aluminum polish on the bare spots. Elbow grease is the key to that.

Acid etching is the last step that you do before you're ready to paint. There are two types/methods of acid wash. One is the kind that you spray on and wipe/wash off. This conditions the metal like the other guys said. Bear in mind, though, if you're planning on painting with this method, there is a time window in which you have to put on the primer before corrosion starts in again. Taking off or nutralizing the acid is very crucial if you want the paint to stick. Also there are certain primers that you'll need to use which are designed to be applied over this.

The second type, which is what we use at the shop, is applied with a paint gun. After the aluminum is sanded and cleaned, the acid-etch primer is sprayed on. From here, you just continue with you're sealer and topcoat. This method is much less time consuming, but maybe a little bit more expensive.

Rost

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The acid should only be used on the bare unpainted aluminum. Not on any painted area of the boat. Older lunds and other manufacturers used to only paint the upper half of the boat. It is fine to use acid on unpainted portions. Todays newer boats are usually painted from top to bottom. Good point though, it is not good on paint.

I've found the best way to restore the aluminum is to use a aluminum wheel polish, like Eagle One aluminum mag wheel cleaner. takes almost every stain off

The boat was an old Lund Rebel. Red paint on the top half, no paint on the bottom! It turned the bottom half white as a ghost! It was almost like it was bleached.

Once again- this acid was designed for semi trailors.

Sounds like they may have left it on too long. Washed my old lund pike sometimes twice a year and never had a problem. It did brighten it up but never turned white. May be different finishes of aluminum.

Always best to use a product for its specific application. I quess I'm a rebel.