• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

reports from 4 mile bay area?

anyboy been on the river north of Baudette? looking to go tomorrow and need a little help.

Ship's Wheel emailed me this morning, said alot of ice and debris going past their place, so I would image where the open water ends, it will be all jammed up. Give them al call.

We were in the bay and gap all day today.. we did pretty good.. out of 3 boats we landed about 10-12 fish biggest was 57"..several were 50-52" the wind could have given us a break but over all it was a great time...

Carson.....Did you make it out on Saturday then?

Let's hear it!

fiskyknut

My guess would be at least twenty or so boats out there. The sturgeon were surfacing all day. The next few weeks should be awesome sturg action in the bay.

we went up to Pelland on Saturday, 4 people in boat, 1 walleye 25" and 1 sucker. saw very few fish caught(maybe 9) all day. i did see a 30 incher caught. was the water clear up in 4 mile bay? was anyone fishing for walleyes up there and were they getting any?

It was pretty dirty where we were fishing in the bay (the channel)didn't check how far out it stayed that way, but debris was floating around all over. I dropped a white jig in just to check clarity, and it was about 4 inches. We were graphing fish steadily, so I'm sure they are there. There was open water out past the gap for quite a ways too, and I'm guessing the boats out there were fishing eyes, along with maybe a couple guys in the bay. I only saw two non-sturgeon caught all day. One pout, and one decent looking eye.

Whiskers, Holy Cow! Sounds like you had a great time! I'm heading up this next weekend to do some sturgeon fishing. You said you fished the gap? What's the gap? Is it where the Rainy dumps into the lake? What kinds of areas did you find productive? I was also wondering how far of a space do you normally leave between the hook and the sinkers? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as I want this to be a trip that I'll never forget.

Thanks, LEECH

Sorry one more question for yea. I have a baitcaster that I'm going to use and was wondering if you just throw out the bait, let it get to the bottom and leave it on free spool? Or would I be better off putting on the bait clicker? You guys usually set the hook when you see line being peeled off? Thanks again.

We were in the "gap" the bay bofore pine Island. we set up in 18 feet of water.. we tried some deep stuff but did not produce fish there..

I run about a 2 foot leader of mono from the sinker. Casting is the best. 3 oz sinkers.. the curent is pretty strong. Cast out let it hit the bottom then set the clicker. Sturgeon will not just run off line right away.. then will slowly jerk line then take off.. Pending on the hook you are useing is how you can set the hook..Circle hooks you can just start reeling but other whise when line is being taken you can give it to emm and set it. We had several misses all day.. they were just being picky eaters.

We used crawlers and minnows.

Hope it helps..

Wiskers,

What are you doing posting? I thought you were headed up north today?

Just a quick question. I am heading up tommarrow morning and planning on fishing four mile bay. Just curious where the landing is to get out, or if we need to go out of a resort. Thanks for the help. Ding

You'll be able to use the public access at Wheeler's Pt. just before Wheelers Point Resort. Can't miss it.

fished Wed and thurs.. Wed was awesome.. Thurs was tough.. wind was a real pain.. Got 6 fish on Wed.. None on thurs.. fished 4mile bay..and the river.. went as far as Baudette..

Fished all day friday and most of the day saturday. Friend and I landed 20+ fish. Most over 40 inches. Biggest was 51.

I gotta make one small complaint. Those "fishermen" that have to drop anchor 20 yards from you, after they see you land a fish. My partner and I had a double going and 3 boats were on us like flies on @#$@. Other than that it was a great 2 days on LOW.

When the fish taggers left on Sat. they had tagged over 100 fish. We ended up with 5 for the day and dad also managed to catch 3 nice walleyes and a sauger too on a glob of crawlers and a 3 ounce weight. Caught one small sturgeon that was tagged too. It will be interesting to get the paper work back on that one. Biggest we heard about was a 65 incher.

Rusty: U will have to help Stu in downloading his pics of that mother of a sturgeon. I will probably have to eat crow until I better his 65"er. This sounds like quite the place. We hope to make it down after the 25th Apr for a day, and MAYBE I can get rid of his 65"er, couldn't one of U guys beat him...... thanks guys......will will never live it down from windtalker, ps: that is Stu's new name: Wind Talker, kind of fitter not.

i was just wondering, where abouts in 4mile bay are people fishing the sturgeon at? are they being caught anywhere there's deeper water, or in the main river chanel, never fished there before, just curious. how abouts depths too.

Well if you head out past the first reed island, past the marker you will hit some deep water then it will become about 15-18 feet... fish along the second reed island in 18 feet.. they are all over out there.. you will just have to move around to find them. we had our best results in 19feet and 36 feet... but in 36 you are very close to the canadian line. Every GPS reads a bit different.

Happy fishing.....................

I am still waiting for his pics....???? either he cant get them developed or he is full of muskeg LOL LOL LOL..... knowing Stu.. Muskeg would be a safe bet LMAO........

I understand, we have a new name for Stu, "Wind Talker" he was our scout this year on the ice, but I would have to admit he did find us fish. I actually saw his pics and NICE fish. This mummy had a huge tummy. This looks like some awesome fishery and hopefully guys/gals will realize it and keep releasing these fish.

Hey Kjos, nice to see you decided to join the FM fun. I'll be talking to Wiskers shortly, I'll let him know you're looking for him. I won't be up til we meet at the lodge, but I think they're planning on getting on the water around 2 or 3.

I will be getting up there around noon Friday..

Jon... We will try not to land any real big ones before you get there so you dont feel left out.. LOL....

walleyejon, I want to thank you again for taking us out on Sunday. It was a blast. You were absolutely right that these fish can really put up a fight! We used the GPS to get us back on the fish on Moday and Tuesday. In the three days up there we ended up with a 58",52",51",50",48" two 46", a 44" and a ton others smaller than that! My arms were getting sore from the fish...not a bad complaint! HA HA! I'll try to get some of the pics up on here soon. Thanks again Jon for all you did. Oh yea, on Monday we searched the island for your hat, but didn't have any luck. wink.gif

Alright, I know Stu will never figure it out without me going to his house again so here you go!!!

ssturgeon0aw.jpgstussturg28yv.jpg

TC beer12jy.gif

Ok that is a nice fish.... but Stu is still not getting any better looking...LOL....

Ok so now we have a goal to beat, 65".. were gonna get r done...

Leech, I kinda figured you guys wouldn't regret the long drive. Did Scotty finally get one with some shoulders? You guys didn't run out of crawlers did ya? I'm glad you had such a blast, and I'll be looking for some pics......

That was the first time I ever wore that hat outside too. If anyone catches a sturgeon wearing a camo outback style hat, its mine.