Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyes_only

Opinion - Max keeper for Walleye

8 posts in this topic

As an avid pursurer of the walleye, I have often wondered what people think about keeping large walleyes. The largest walleye that I have ever kept was a 28 inch 8lb. eye, that I wish I had mounted, ate it instead, probably stupid on my part, yet I know people who have kept eyes over 9 pounds. In your opinion, for keeping an eye, without indending to mount, what is the biggest walleye that should be kept? confused.gif

Just my opinion, but I don't see why you would want to keep anything over about 19 inches. Aren't those 15 to 17 inchers better tasting anyway? JH

my opinion also, 14 to 20 inches is my range. Have kept a few around 24 but the taste is bad. Besides those r your reproducers anyway.The biggest I caught was a 29 incher out of fall lake no camera pulled the hook and put her back.

I personally will keep them up to about 23 inches after that they are too big in my estimation. I like the feeling of seeing a 24" walleye swim back to the bottom of the lake and know that I caught it and that it will still be there to make more of them. Besides when they start to get that big they do start to taste pretty . I say catch 'em snap a quick picture and let 'em go. Then the fish is living and you have the proof that you fooled it into taking what you were offering. I know my dad used to keep big ones, back before the one over 24" rule he would come back with a couple in the seven and eight pound range or more and eat 'em up. He has since changed his views and anything big we like to see swim back. Just my thoughts.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

I'll gladly keep a walleye under 20"...everything else goes back in the drink. 30"+ is going on the wall though...until I find someone that does LIFELIKE replicas.

In general my slot is 14-18" but its relative to what lake I'm on and what strong year classes that lake has. Ever been on a trip where you couldn't find fish under 18"? I have and if a meal of fish was in on the menu well you so be it. On the other hand I've been on trips where you couldn't find anything over 14" and will go down to 13". I can say anything 21+ is safe in my boat unless its a new state record of coarse. I didn't start out with this personal slot 30 some years ago and don't expect everyone to adopt to their own. Plant the seed of how important C&R is and in time some guys do come around to it. I'm not against keeping one the the wall. Frankly if everyone had one on the wall I think more people would practice C&R sooner on and start letting those 21+ fish go.

Pretty much the same here. 15" to 19" gets to see the livewell. Anything over 19" I release for another day. Anything over 8 pounds gets her picture taken. I won't make myself another repo till I get one thats bigger then the one on the wall at 10 pounds.

If she's 23 let her be...