Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MisterFish

Smelting requirements

6 posts in this topic

if i'm a MN resident and i wanted to smelt on the WI side, do i need a WI fishing license? i was told one year that MN residents did not need a WI fishing license, but WI anglers would need a MN fishing license if they wanted to fish/smelt on the MN side? anyone know the legality of this?

oh and where is park point located if i'm coming from the Twin Cities?

MisterFish

MisterFish,

I can help you to find Park Point. You will take exit 256B just as you start to see downtown. You will go past the 1st overpass that is 5th avenue west. Next overpass you want to turn right to canal park and then another right to get to lake avenue. At lake avenue you want to turn left an head down to and over the lift bridge. Once over the bridge you are on park point. I think it's about 5 miles long. I buy a non-resident Wisconsin lisc. so I'm not sure about the law. There is more then enough to do on the Minnesota side so I would just stay there and not worry about it. I hope this helps and welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

The way I understand it, if you are smelting on the lake side in Wi, you need a Wi Lic and vise ver. if you smelt in the bay, you only need a lic from your home state (mn/Wi). Maybe I am wrong but that is what I have been told>>>later the load

The best place I have found to smelt is right along the pier as you cross the lift bridge going onto park point. I tend to find a place along side the road, through on my waders and put the nets over my shoulder and walk right out to the beach.

The spot I'm referring to normally gets pretty packed, so it's best to get their early.

The park point beach is great because it is a gradual, sand based beach that makes for nice smelting....when the weather cooperates:)

Hope this helps!

Captain, that was one of my favorite spots too. Now theres deep holes scoured out along the pier and a few choice rocks to trip over or snag your net on.

Thanks everyone for the tips:) i'm thinking about checking it out tonight. Happy Smelting to everyone:)

MisterFish