Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Haley

Island Lake

Chris Haley

Has anybody fished this lake lately?? This is the one south of lake George in the "gullys" as we called it. You had to walk in about a half mile. Good crappie, sunfish, and bass though. I had heard that it was logged off and there was a road going back now. There was also a trout lake a short portage from there called "Crappie" lake, which I always found funny that a trout lake would be named "Crappie" lake.

fishin magician

I was snooping around on the lake finder this winter and found the crappie lake. Would like to try it out but have not had the opportunity yet.

Chris Haley

Crappie is just a big bowl of gin clear water. The trout just spend their lives swimming the perimeter of the lake. You can actually see them swimming by. They are a strain of rainbow called a "Donaldson" I think. They were planted strictly for harvest and don't reproduce.

fishin magician

Good stuff Chris, have you ever fished it in the summer? I would be interested in gining it a try. I like the idea of tackling a small excluded lake. Let me know what your outcome has been.

Chris Haley

When I was in high school (Laporte) I fished all those lakes. Yes I have fished them in the summer, we would carry a canoe into island. From Island you go to the back bay which in the spring is LOADED with crappie. Accross the back bay and over the hill is Crappie lake. Another way to get to Crappie is to put in at Gillett and go accross, at the other end is a portage trail.

Lake Alice

I have driven back there but I have not fished them. I may finally try it this spring.

hugebass

I've been fishing Island Lake for 20 years, once a year or so. Yes, they logged extensively about 5 years 15 years ago and again about five years ago, but they left a buffer of about 100-200 yards around the lake. It's not a lake for big fish, but it has lot's of sunfish, crappie, and bass. The panfish are mostly about 1/3 1b. And it's a great lake for 11"-15" largemouth bass. The road in is impassible, as the DNR has restricted ALL motorized vehicles from the forest, and have dug large burnes and put up crossing blocks to keep ATV's out. If you go into the lake, please respect this ban. It's a beautiful place.

There are really no usable camping areas anywhere on the lake, as the hills around it are quite steep. For reasons I don't know, the lake level has risen steadily over the years, and is up about 6' since 1985. There re now two islands that were peninsulas then.

Good Luck if you go...let me know how you do.

Chris Haley

It was 79-84 when I was fishing it. No islands back then. Fun little lake though.

jagnweiner

Guys-

Island and Crappie lakes sound interesting. I always like an adventure. Can someone give me a little more detailed directions to get to Island coming from the south and also about how far I would have to carry a canoe?

-Scott

hugebass

Scott...the easiest way to get there is to take Hwy 10 to Wadena, then go North on 73 to Park Rapids. When you get to the main light in town, go right past the American Inn on your left to Co. 4. Take a left on Co. 4 and go 17 miles, and on your right, way off, you'll see a sign for Halverson Lake Road (it's dirt). It's easy to miss.

Follow the road until you come to Halverson lake, about 5 miles or so. It will be on your left, and there will be a boat ramp. Now turn around and go back SLOWLY and look on your left for two small clearings, and pull into the 2nd one. It will be maybe 30 yards by 30 yards, and is often muddy. Behind it, on the right, you'll find the path. It's 1,200 yards to the lake, or about 2/3 mile. There is a logging road that's getting quite overgrown now, and after about a half mile, you'll have to look closely for the path, but when you do, you're only a couple hundred yards away. You'll go down a steep hill to the lake, and of course, you'll come back up the same hill later. I recommend a LIGHT canoe.

It's an extremely weedy lake and the whole shoreline is submerged timber on account of the constantly rising water.

I've fished it the last couple times in a float tube...pretty cool.

Be nice to the lake...it's one of my favorite places.

Glen

jagnweiner

Glen-

Thanks for the info. Don't worry, if I do make it back there, I probably won't take any fish back out with me. I'd bring my brother along to carry the canoe. I haven't used my float tube in about 15 years, but you're right, they are fun.

-Scott

hop sing

i have fished Island lake nearly every year for the past 22 years. Heck im the guy who turned "hugebass" (see past replies) onto this lake many years ago. Hi Glen! All of "hugebass" comments on this lake are accurate. Its a fun lake and a very special place to me and many people i know. nothing real big in there but its a fun place to visit. Its a gas in a float tube. If you do go in there please post how you did.

Another lake i ventrured into recently in the Paul Bunyan State forest was Waboose. Thats another lake definatly worth checking out. Its has a decent boat launch and good fishing as well as the wilderness experience. Drive in campsite available.

Hey Glen! Only 36 more shopping days till the bass trip.

Shop early and shop often.

Hop Sing

jagnweiner

OK, here's a stupid question. We talked about both Island and Crappie Lakes. It was mentioned that Crappie Lake contains only non-reproducing stocked trout. The DNR webpage confirms that these are rainbow trout.

The question is, can you actually fish for these trout? According to the DNR regulations, there is no open season for trout other than lake trout on any lake in Hubbard County. Does that mean you can't catch the trout the DNR stocks?

-Scott