• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deep water trolling question..

I'm looking to get a 7'6 trolling rod with a line counter reel. I have a few questions.

1) Any suggestions for a combo?

2) I know alot of people use the lead core but I have heard it's hard to deal with. I'm assuming a line like Fusion or Fireline would be better to get the cranks down because of low stretch, compared to a mono?

Until just a few years ago, most pro's used 10lb mono for most trolling applications. Aside from their rigs with leadcore on them 10# mono was the ticket. More and more people are using Superlines for trolling, however they also use a mono leader most of the time.

I still use 10lb mono on my trolling rigs because it keeps big fish from pulling off on those small

hooks that come on most cranks. I have no problem getting baits down to as deep as 25ft with mono.

As for a rig, I use Okuma line counters, they are much less expensive than many others and they are great reels. The rods can be any decent trolling rod however in my opinion the longer the better.

"Ace" cool.gif

I'm assuming the the rod composition should have some fiberglass in it, compared to all graphite?

I have 2 Diawa AccuDepth 27 line counters that are sitting on Cabelas trolling rods. One rod is 7 1/2 and the other is a telescoping model that gets out to 8 1/2....I like the 8 1/2. It handles inline boards fine and gets you away from the boat for long lining. Combo price was about $70. The Accudepth model is not as good as the Diawa Sealine but if you mostly do the weekend warrior thing you should be fine. I've had mine for 2 years with no problems and they have seen some use.

If you want to use superlines, just make sure you have a rod with a soft tip. Some guys even use Downrigger rods but a long medium action rod and a forgiving drag should be sufficient. I also recomed using mono as a backing otherwise you will spend $30 just filling the spool with line.

I use snap weights to get deep or to troll spinners over suspended fish. You can also use snap weights to just add a little extra depth to your favorite shallow divers. If you know someone that makes their own bottom bouners you can make your own snap weights and only have to buy the snaps. You could also check with the guys on the Supperior forum about Jet and Dipsy divers(depending how deep you want to go), I've only seen these used(charter) and don't have much personal experience and that's the same with leadcore and trolling wire...not much experience. I would recomend spending the $30 and buy a Precision Trolling book. I have #7 and it covers about every Rapala, walleye Diver and Reef Runner plus about 100 other baits and rigs. The dive curves in the book are created using 10 lb. test diameter mono.

I hope that helps a little and good luck,

Abens1078

Yeti, it depends how deep you plann on trolling and what kind of cranks you will be trolling with?? For shallow trolling mono is the line of choice 1-15 feet. For 15-30 Ft I would suggest Fireline 10lb, with Fireline use a 8ft 14lb Flourcarbon leader. Tie these lines together using a #18 swivel, it is small enough to fit through the guides and the reel.

Leadcore is a very good to have. If you are fishing stick baits(husky jerks,rougues,thundersticks) early and late in the season leadcore works great to get these baits deeper. Your other option is snap weights you can use on both Mono and Fireline that will also accomplish this. What also is great about lead core it will rise and fall depending on the speed you are moving. If you speed up the bait will rise, slow down it will run lower, it helps if your contour trolling to keep the bait from haning up on the bottom.

For rods and reels Bass Pro has great combos and so does Cabaelas. I own both and have a preference for the Bass Pro 8'6 in which is a great rod for trolling and also if you want to add planer boards.

Like I said it all depends on the depth, type of cranks your using and how versatile you want to be.

Good Luck!!

I troll a lot and have a couple of Daiwa line counters. I change lines depending on the situation. If I'm not running boards I almost always use fireline or powerpro - more sensitive for telling what's going on with the baits, and the thinner diameter (not the lack of stretch) gets the baits down deeper. I occaisonally use fireline or powerpro even if I'm using boards, but not if it's very rough. Then I use 10 lb mono so the boards have more to hang onto.

I started using leadcore for the first time last year. Very speed dependent. You really can't use it effectively unless all lines in the water are leadcore.

I'm not a big fan of the super-long super-soft trolling rods - I just don't like them. I use 7 foot graphite rods or 7 foot glass, with soft tips. They work fine for boards and leadcore and are awesome for flatlines.

I almost never use a mono leader between fireline and the bait - only if it's superclear and then I may use flourocarbon. I've never had a problem with fish getting off - just don't horse them and you'll be fine.

I'll second the recommendation to get the precision trolling book for $30. It's based on 10 lb XT so that would be a good line to go with so you can match up exactly with the book.

Good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yeti, How deep and what are you pulling?

Like guideman I use 10# mono on my deep rigs and have no problem getting down 40' pulling spinners/minnow harness. I know you can throw out a spinner and slap it in a rod holder and catch eyes but I don't use that approach. Its all finesse fishing. My troll speed is just enough to spin the blades and I'm always keeping in contact with the bottom. I have no problem feeling the slightest nudge of a finicky eye bite. Next I drop the tip back and give that eye enough time to commit. That there makes a world of difference as opposed to getting lucky with a self hooker. The bigger the eye the less aggresive the bite. With the 10# at those depths I have no problem with sensitivity.