Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corey Bechtold

Wollybuggers!

6 posts in this topic

Hi all. I was wondering what colors, sizes, tail types, etc, that have turned Crappies and Sunfish for you? I have had good luck with a tan chanille body, grizzly hackle, and red yarn tail. Some of my biggest Panfish have come to this little bugger but I was looking for a couple new ideas to try for my next time out.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Corey, I haven't tried this combination but for panfish I think a yellow chenille body with a black hackle would be killer. The only addition to that color combination would have to be white - tail, I guess.

Black wooly buggers or wooly worms (yes, red tail) have worked excellent as a dropper with a red/white or yellow/white clouser.

Try some cactus chenille instead of regular chenilee (Estaz is very like) to get more flash and depth than the regular pipecleaner stuff. I also got some variant marabou for tails that looks very cool--it's barred natural tans, russets, and deep brown that made some great buggers for smallies (that imitate the juvenile smallmouth).

Thanks you guys! I'll get tying tonight. smile.gif

Corey Bechtold

I'm just getting into tying, put my first woolies together today. In regards to color, there seems to be a lot more converstaion about it in the crappie forum. Wouldn't those colors translate well into flies? At least that's what I have gone by when buying materials.

In that forum, I have picked up on black, pink, purple, white, yellow, etc. (Looking at the contributors in this thread, that's a big "duh".) Today I put together a woolly worm with black chenile, pink hackle, and a flashabou tail instead of the standard yarn. It looks good to me - black/pink is one of my favorite combos for crappies. But obviously I haven't tried it on the fish yet.

Anyway, am I totaly off base following that thinking? It's not like black/pink is a natural color that plastics imitate, but it works for the fish. Probably heresy to a purist fly tier, but I'm more interested in the fish's opinion. What do you think?

Deeky

Hey Deeky - wooly buggers are a versatile pattern. They will catch just about any species of fish it just depends on how they are tied. For crappies I tie bright colors like pink and chartruse. For smallies I tie to imitate crawfish and shad. Trout I tie to imitate leeches.

All the colors you have will work just maybe not for the same fish.

Tight lines.