• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The 2005 Chicago White Sox will........

buzzsaw

Just happened to be sitting on the throne, thinking about the Sox and ran across an article written by Kevin Cook in an old issue of my favorite sports mag, Playboy, May 1994 to be exact. You know, the one with Elle McPherson on the cover...lol! The article details Cook's picks for the season. He picked Chicago to win the Central and the AL but was smart enough to know they couldn't best the Braves in the Series. Of particular interest were his comments on the American League Central. It read:

"After smoking to a 49 - 29 record in the second half of 1993 only to flame out in the playoffs, the White Sox return to dominate the Central. Too bad this team keeps getting distracted by sideshows. Last spring it was Bo Jackson's hip. So Frank Thomas used his big hurtful swing to hit .317 with 41 homers and 128 RBIs, slugging .607 (slugging percentages over .600 are Ruthian). But then his .353 postseason was lost amid Air Michael's retirement, the news of which was leaked during an ALCS game at Comiskey. Not content with that, Jordan may try to eclipse the spring training sun in his attempt to join the Sox.

Forget Dare Jordan. He has as much chance of actually making the club as does Madonna, who has more baseball experience. Focus on Thomas and Chicago's young pitchers. Even if owner Jerry reinsdorf refuses to pay Jack McDowell $6.5 mil a year and deals him instead, the Sox are dangerously armed. Wilson Alvarez, 24, fulfilled his promise and has a decade left in his left arm. Alex Fernandez, 24, ditto in his right. Late-maturing closer Roberto Hernandez, 29, saved 38 games a year ago and ought to add 10 more to that total this year. This wondrous crew has been overshadowed by Black Jack (42 - 20 over two years). There's also the what's-in-a-name similarity of Alvarez, Fernandez and Hernandez, which may confuse some fans. Fortunately for the Sox, they confuse batters, too.

In a full season Jason Bere, 23, should win more than 12 games. If McDowell departs or anyone else falters, manager Gene Lamont can call on any of three rookie starters who are almost as precocious as Bere.

With that much pitching Chicago could win with an attack of Thomas and the eight dwarfs. In fact, there are only two in the lineup: 5'8" Tim Raines and 5'8" Joey Cora, who hit a combined .284 with 170 runs and 41 steals. Center fielder Lance Johnson batted .311, swiped 35 more and was thrown out just seven times. Robin Ventura played a flawless third and supported Thomas with 22 homers and 94 RBIs; he earned his new nickname, the Little Hurt, by losing a brawl to Nolan Ryan. Beside him, Ozzie Guillen is steady at short. Ron Karkovice is the only catcher in either league who nails nails more than half the runners who try to steal on him. Now add DH Julio Franco (.289, 14 homers, 84 RBIs for Texas) to bat behind Thomas. And outfielder Darrin Jackson, a good bat and a great glove, will prove to be a wise signing.

Weaknesses? It won't help the Sox to have a basketball player screwing around in their batting cage, stealing their thunder. And it hurts their feelings that they sell fewer tickets than the uptown Cubs. Both troubles will end soon."

Tsk, tsk, tsk...according to buzz's stats, doesn't look like they even made the playoffs that year. Guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. (watching as the Sox circle the stool and head down the pipe) grin.gif

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzsaw

• Windy City Walleye Hunter

• mnvikingsfreak

• fishyguy

Windy dude, your sux are winning this year by playing like the twins do!! They are playing the punch and judy bit this year man.

Hey Buzz,

Try a little Alka Seltzer after digesting the entire MLB record book, a little too much time on your hands there, my man. You know how when you were a little kid and you liked one of the girls in your class but you made fun of her so she didn't know you liked her? Things that make you go hmmmm.

News Flash...BUZZ IS A CLOSET PALE HOSE LOVER. The only thing I know about the Twinks is their stadium is horrible and Harmon Killebrew was fat. Other than that, I guess the rest. YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES!

Windy, I see your computer savvy is close to the best! It's called "cut and paste" it takes seconds. Your kinda like the guy that everybody came up to from behind and knocked the books out of your hands because you were such a great guy!

I agree the dome is horrible,

but then, the dome draws more fans than your newly remodeled ballpark? That says alot for the white sox fans, wannabe new stadium, wannabe first place team, still cant draw the number of fans the twins do.

"you can put it on the board...yes". I cant believe anyone would quote Stinky and Duck, what a terrible broadcast team. The only the the sux ever put on the board is a big crapping down the leg.

OH NO, it looks like Tampa Bay has come from behind and beat the white sux. laugh.gif

Hey, least chicago had the lead at one point. Windpipe can still say " we have had the lead in every game". Meanwhile the sux might get swept by the D Rays. Thats funny. ff

Quote:

The only thing I know about the Twinks is their stadium is horrible and Harmon Killebrew was fat.

This is coming from the guy who's team once employed a lard a$$ in Greg Luzinski and put him in shorts to play the game.

Something called "Cantu" goes yard on the White Sux bullpen to go up two games to none in that series and you can put that on the board Windy beyaaa

Buzz, Canwho hit a homerun?

Takatsu is not the greatest closer in the world.

Chicago would be beter having something called D. Hermanson do the save work. ff

remember windy....1917....88 years of losers the twins been around for 40 yrs and won 2 world series its ok to be jealous of the fat twins and the metrodome at least I have seen the twins win a world series in my lifetime unlike the white sux wow another loss to tampa tonight they are on a roll!!

Just wondering if we'll hear from the good ole boy today. After that great twins win over a good team and the White Sux loss from probably the 2nd worst team in the AL, I'd bet ole Windbag will be in hiding today. That's alright, after their done being swept by Tampa, the Sux finally will see what they're made of. They have to play Baltimore, Texas (two series), Cubbies, and Angels (two series) the rest of this month. We'll see what happens when the "best team in baseball confused.gif" has to face some teams that can actually play some ball.

My prediction: Twins overtake first place by the end of May. grin.gif

and.........

YOU CAN PUT THAT ON THE BOARD!!

I'm so excited! The Sux scored first again today against the D-Rays to keep their meaningless string of games holding the league continue. It is kind of amazing, but it doesn't mean squat!

The streak continues...and the Sox win! Mr. Garland dominate as usual. 7-0 and about a full earned run less than the best pitcher in baseball! Mr. Santana gives up 4 and narrowly avoids getting tagged with the loss and of course no victory. YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Right on Cue. Funny you weren't around much during that Devil Rays series.

We all knew it was coming. Old Windy only likes his team when they win. He must be busy every time they lose.

Then he starts mouthing off and talking how Garland is better than Santanna. Yah right. Just comical! tongue.gif

Yes Windy City shows his true colors once again... he's as predictable as a morning turd! grin.gif

Havent heard too much about the bulls lately...?? Oh yeah thats right because they got beat in the CBA, oops i mean the eastern confernce quarters.

We have not heard about the Bulls and I think you have the 3rd mention of this and still nothing. Windy is a front runner all the way.

THE STREAK IS ALIVE!!!

Most consecutive games with the lead to start the season.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX 2005

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES!

So how did the Twinks do against the lowly Rangers tonight?

Quote:

So how did the Twinks do against the lowly Rangers tonight?

Twins lose third in a row...in danger of being swept by the an "average Texas squad". (hee-hee grin.gif)

Here's what 2005's Cy Young Award winner looks like:

8xKe7FL3.jpg

MM3BTfxn.jpg

...and how about A.J. Pierzynski and the job he's done for that pitching staff. The Twins lost him, Koskie and Guzman and yet they believe they have a chance with Mauer, Cuddyer and Bartlett!! grin.gifgrin.gif

VERY NICE, BACKHERUP!

Thanks for the compliments. Garland has been quite a stud this year and you know that having AJ handling the pitching staff the way he has, just has to have the Twinkie-eaters just green with envy. Memories...of the way you were! What say you guys get Maggs and company healthy, pass the Twinks like an old man driving on the expressway, and we can have a good ole fashioned race to the finish and may the better team win. Sound good?

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD....YES! Windy

Quote:

Chicago's clubhouse was silent after the game, devoid of the familiar post-game music.

Here we go........... south wink.gif

Hey, just a rhetorical question: I know they didn't have it in the ninth, but did the Sox EVER have the lead last night? Never mind, nobody cares.

Your Quote: "The Twins lost him, Koskie and Guzman and yet they believe they have a chance with Mauer, Cuddyer and Bartlett!!"

Nevermind someone named Joe Nathan who we aquired in the AJ trade and is on a very short list of BEST closers in the game. Guzman is batting .214 and I don't miss him. As of today, AJ's batting .262 with 14 RBI's; Mauer is batting .321 with 16 RBI's and the guy's barely old enough to drink beer so he's gonna be around for a while.

I'll give you the Koskie/Cuddyer thing right now, but let's be realistic and not ignore the facts and Joe Nathan.

I know you can do better than that!?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the White Sox bats couldn't overcome that 10 pot the Angels put on them tonight! grin.gif

Another series, another victory, 2 out of 3 ain't bad (as Meatloaf said) and against another first place team. I see the Twinks finally figured out a way to beat the hapless Injuns, let's see if the GREATEST PITCHER EVER TO THROW A BASEBALL can add to their 1 game winning streak. The Injuns should be easy pickins yet we all know what happened to Mr. Santana the last time he was a prohibitive favorite...ROCK CITY BABY. GO INDIANS....YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!