Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-Marc V-

Streamers

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody use much for streamers trout fishing? I for some reason have an aversion to Wooly Buggers, (though I do use them) and thought maybe streamers would be something different to throw at them.

For those that do fish with streamers, could you let me know what patterns have worked well for you in the past. So far I've tied up some Black Ghosts (I think they're called), and some Mickey Finns.

Thanks.

Simple. Leech patterns with rabbit. Small clousers, especially in baby trout colors and black; I like clousers because they are two-toned, showing the white belly can often trigger hits from big brownies which are meat eaters much of the time. Woolly buggers, averse or not.

ice

Sitck to gray, brown or black buggers or zonkers. I go white when I tie more clouser type patterns. You should give them more of a go. I catch my biggest fish every year on streamer patterns.

I've had in mind to try some clousers since the hook will face up with potential less snags when it's dragged on the bottom. What size of clousers do you usually use?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Depends upon what kind of hook you're using. Typically the hook is relatively small like #6-10 streamer hook. The fly looks bigger due to the materials you tie into it. You can tie the same inverted hook pattern when tying zonkers as well.

I was thrilled last night when an acquaintance of mine told me that he took a Clouser minnow that I had tied and given to him to Canada, where he caught a bull trout on it. Probably as close a connection as I'll ever have to those big, fish-eating fish, unfortunately.

Clousers catch fish like crazy and are at least semi-snagless. I like gray over white with silver crystal flash and natrual brown over white with gold crystal flash for trout.

One can't say enough good about the brilliant woolly bugger, either. My favorite size for trout is a size 8, 3XL streamer hook. I tend to tie most of mine with a brass cone head and leaded shank. I mostly stick to all olive or all black. I do tie some in all black with no weight and no conehead for use on shallow, rocky flats.

in high muddy water i love fishing streamers for big browns. I like mickey finns and wooly buggers a lot. I also tie a lot of patterns i make up myself that i just think look like they will catch fish and if the conditions are right, they ussually do. if nothing else is working, throwing on a streamer is never a bad idea.