Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deeky

Large fly storage

4 posts in this topic

What do you all use to store your larger bass flies? I have a standard aluminum box for my smaller ones, but am not sure what to do with bigger streamers and poppers as I innevitably accumulate them. Do I find a larger aluminum fly box, small plastic divided box? Thanks for the suggestions.

Deeky

Always a problem. I fish saltwater a lot and also fish muskies with my flyrod, which means big flies. I tend to keep the flies I'm using actively in a standard plastic box; I'll glue foam inside but don't always get that orderly "hooked in rows" look. I keep backup flies or the freshly tied ones in plastic sleeves in a larger zip-lock style tackle case like the plastic wraps the pro bass guys use. When I guided I had a dozen simple flyboxes, about 2 inches deep, 8X5 inch boxes, all the same, with foam glued in with 3m 777 spray adhesive, and kept different kinds of flies in different boxes--clouser box, woolly bugger box, poppers, hair bugs, butch minnows, etc. There are few really big flyboxes out there, and I'm always after them. The best one I've seen is by Bonnand and is called the Boat Fly Box--like Saltwater/Reservoir box. They are pricey.

ice

As Ice9 mentioned, big fly boxes with clever storage elements can be pricey. I'm more of a wade angler than a boat person, so I needed something that would fit in my smallish Wood River bag. My solution was dirt cheap and remarkably effective - if one doesn't need a watertight seal between box halves. I use small Plano polyethylene boxes that one can purchase at places like Fleet Farm for just a couple of dollars. Mine fits my tackle bag and has seven compartments, I believe. It holds popping bugs and other largish flies fine.

Plastic boxes with removable dividers are adequate. The problem with them versus a fly box is that the fly box absorbs any water your fly may have where the water will sit in the plastic and rust your hooks.