Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnhunter2

Best time to shore fish for walleyes?

7 posts in this topic

I am going to ne sd to hunt turkeys and do a little fishing from shore for walleyes and I have never fished them this early and I was wondering when the best time to fish will be as the ice is just about off now.

If they move in to shore on a lake it would probably be toward sunset. Rivers can be good about any time during the day and afternoons are probably the best.

Sunrise and sunset the walleye are shallow and close to shore. During the day the walleye move out to deeper water.

Slip bobber can be deadly at night off shore.

I was thinking the same question?? But I have found out that fall is really a good time to catch wallys off shore. Last fall caught one about 7 lbs on Ten Mile Lake from shore.

If you are going to NE SD, try the road grade at Cattail Lake. I hear they do real well there. Also the road grade at Grenville on Waubay. There is some other "sleeper" lake by Britton, SD called White, Whitestone, or something, that is small, but has good populations of fish. Let us know how you do.

midnight till 4 am, just my 2 cents

Some of my largest walleyes have come between 2 and 3 a.m.