• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duck Boat paint

I want to paint my 14' Starcraft (aluminum) for duck hunting purposes. I know I have to use a urethane paint or some other marine paint. What are some good brands that you've used on your boats. Any tips before I start the sanding process?

No need to use a urethane or marine paint.

Hunters specialties makes a really good duckboat paint. I have 2 boats that were painted over 10 years ago and they still look good. It comes in spray and in cans.

I've had good luck with the liquid paint sold by Hershfields (sp). Don't know if there is a location near you. If the aluminum is bare you will still have to prepare it somehow.

The hunter specialties paint works well. The only problem Ive had is on spots on my 14'footer I didnt scuff enough. my other boats are fine though. Good luck

RED

I RECOMMEND SCUFFING IT REALLY GOOD, THEN SPRAYING IT WITH AN ETCHING PRIMER. THAT WILL MAKE THE PAINT STICK A LOT BETTER. ALSO THE ETCHING PRIMER IS A PALE GREEN SO IF THE PAINT DOES CHIP OFF YOU DON'T HAVE BARE ALUMINUN SHOWING.

I'd hand scrub it down with a strong vinegar solution as well as scuffing it. I did this on a F-14 years and years ago and it's held the paint very well.

Also, if you have a nosey neighbor like I did tell her your going to paint the boat purple as waterfowl can't detect purple. What a hoot, she was running all over the neighborhood telling people about this gaudy purple boat that was going to be sitting out in front of my house come September, October and November. I had several other neighbors who knew better but went along anyway and convinced her to have a rally/picnic so they could all voice their opinions and then draft a letter to me.

No one showed up for her little party. She moved 6 months later.

Great Story FOOT!

I had a friend in Thief River who's neighbor hated him killin' the ducks. Well the female neighbor (lived over 1 mile away) actually went into the garbage and took the guts - placed them into his boat.

The local bear population was loving this. In fact he was using a different boat so let her bait for him.

One night she went out again with some things from her house to stash in his boat. He was watching her... about 2 minutes - what he describes as "a nice looking shooter" came out and flipped the boat over while she was 2 feet away. Screaming...

She then called the DNR to tell them about a bear not afraid of humans at 10pm. They then issued her a ticket for baiting on private property and tresspassing.

hahaha...two good stories in a row!

I like the idea of messing with these anti-hunting/fishing types...yeah telling them where to go can feel good, but it is much more satisfying to really piss 'em off by making them the butt of a joke, etc.

SA/wdw

Several years ago I used Hunter Specialties camo paint on my duck boat and its still holding well. Before painting I scrubbed it well and washed it with TriSodiumPhosphate. It really helps the paint bond to the metal. I brushed on the tan base coat and had two aerosole cans of spray, one of dark brown and one of olive drab. We used a handfull of cattail leaves as a stencil. When they got loaded with paint, we beat them against the boat and it splattered well into the camo pattern. Be sure to paint the inside of the boat as well as the outside.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll have to post some pics when I'm done.

I bought a used 14'aluminum boat last fall.

The guy I bought it from had repainted it using Parker Duck Boat Paint which he had purchased from Cabela's.

He told me that he just used a 4" roller to apply it.

I like it so well that I am going to do the same thing to my 14' Lund in Minn.

I checked Cabelas online catalog and it can be found using a search under duck boat paint. $9.99/qt.

I won't be getting back to Minn for a couple of weeks and to the painting project, so let me know how yours turns out.

This boat still has a lot of good paint on it (white) so I should be good if I just score the paint with sandpaper and sand down any flaky spots and then apply the etching solution to those spots where the paint chips off, right? Then paint.

Farley, I have done that with a 10 ft jon I have. I sanded down by hand a scuffed it by hand. It lasts for at least the season. Maybe you want to try a drill/wire brush method for better scuffing.

If i were you, i'd take as much paint off as possible. Using a wire brush should take the shine off too.

I used rustoleum on the inside of my boat and its holding up well.