• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fargo - moorhead area Ice fishing on the red!

A-unit

I've been hitting another popular spot in MN for cats this winter and have been having good luck on cutbait. I landed about 20 this morning to early afternoon. I was just using a plain hook with a small piece of cutup shiner minnow. Cut up suckers have worked for me in the past too. Jigging spoons such as the Scenic Go-Devil tipped with a minnow head were also very effective today.

I've been concentrating on the deeper holes. Today I was in about 20' and catching them around 3-4' off of the bottom.

Big cat of the day was a 9 lb. channel. Can you say fun??

Now I'm not fishing the Red or close to it but the techniques may be similar.

I tried the river on Saturday afternoon. I didn't have any luck, but I put in a weak effort. I had some guests, so I was only able to fish for a couple of hours and only fished until 4:00. I did learn a little bit though, and that will be valuable. I tried to find spots in that 8ft range and found that depth at only about 10ft from shore. I tried to find where a little dropoff was and tried to locate some fallen trees and little nooks. I found a lot of spots that would go from 3' to 9' just a step or two away. That seemed like what I'd want to find. I was fishing by the Iwen Park area. The weather and company was good, so that sort of made up for no fish.

Do some of you regulars look for locations like I described or do you think that there are some other factors I should have considered. Obviously there's going to be some spots that are better than others, but do you think that I should be able to setup on just about any stretch of the river that has a little structure or was I just in an area that doesn't typically yield many fish? Would it have mattered if I stayed out until dusk? Is there generally a little night-bite?

I was using a larger buckshot rattle spoon and the guys I was with were using some jigs. There was a little bit of current, but the heavier spoon stayed fairly vertical. I'm thinking of trying it again later this week and weekend. I might try to get out later in the day. The ice was about 18" at about every spot we tried and seemed pretty safe, that was one concern of mine. I'm going to keep learning and hopefully get into some fish before summer season. From reading the MN regs the season is continuous so I've got some more time. I'd imagine that the ice is generally good until the middle of March?

Sounds like you were on the right track. I usually think about the first few miles of river below dams starting pretty soon. I look for sharp bends and the holes associated with them. Then I try get in or near timber in 5-12 feet near those bends. Also, I try get in "quiet areas"- areas with little current. These are the types of areas that Ed Carlson has turned me onto. I've caught more fish on shelves rather than sharp drops. Ed, thoughts on sharp vs. gradual drops? Finally, I almost always do best fishing from an hour before dark into the evening. I'd probably do fine before sun up and into the morning, but I'm too lazy to get out by then usually.

Piker: Not sure about the night bite in the winter, but I've seen one in the fall that is second to none. I always figured they would shut off at dusk considering how murky the water can be, but that's definitely not what I've experienced from the little bit I've fished the Red.

Maybe it's different when there's ice though I don't know.

I tried it on Wed 2/16 from about 5:00 - 6:30. I was going to try a new spot, but went with a familiar spot due to the time of day and the temp. I didn't bring my house out, and it was plenty cold. I stuck it out past dark, but wasn't rewarded. I've got some spots that I'd like to try, but I haven't got to them yet. I'm still very green. I think some shore fishing in the early spring will help me find some spots. I'm looking forward to getting out with the boat, as well.

At and near dusk you are likely to find them eye's in tight to shore. Those shelves Scoot mentioned are key feeding areas at dark and all night long. Very often 4-5' is as deep as you need to be after dusk.

Key areas on a feeder shelf are the leading edge of the current break on the up-river side and the teil-out end section of the shelf. If there is wood and or rock piles near take that into consideration and be sure to try those areas. Spots on the spot add value to these shelves.

Funnel areas on a shelf spell more fish, structure and current will both funnel active fish into you. wink.gif

Hey Ed, Dont know if you remember me but i saw u south of fargo by my girlfriends place on the river! Fishing has been good down there. Caught a 8 bl 2 0zer last week!! Was pretty fun trying to get her through a 6 inch hole. Best bite has been from 7-9 at night or 6-9 in the morning. Ive been trying closer to the dam now instead of where you were on the first bend it it seems to hold more fish but right next to the shore. Im down there about every night and morning so maybe ill see you down there. Good fishing

Sure, I remember you Brian. So your more convinced there are fish there now huh? Ata boy on the 8+, sticking with it pays off Eh.

I have been certain most of the walleye are in tight and shallow. The area your doing well in is a good indication of that pattern.

Did you try them baits I showed you yet? Maybe that 8+ came on one huh? wink.gif

I May pop up that way soon. I have been very close to you fishing already. I seen you out there a few times since we last chatted.

How is the ice there now? It must have firmed up again after that last thaw?

Ed, the ice down there is fine. Anywhere from 15 to 25 inches except right by the shore its like 6 inches. Dont now why it thinner by the shore cause there is less current???? I went out and got some of them lures you showed me but i havent got anything but a sore arm jigging. The best is smaller jigs (yellow and red) with slip bobbers. Also ive been putting floaters on my tip ups and they have worked good. Even got a 27 inch northern that was kind of surprising!!

When have you seen me down there??? Cause ive only seen one other person down there in the morning. Kind of nice not having anyone bothering you. People just dont think the river has fish in it!!

Im gonna be going down there Weds and Thurs at about 5:00 to 5:30 up by the dam probably.

Also, why is it I catch more on minnows that have been dead for a few days rather then alive ones???? Doesnt make much sense to me. Gotta run Good fishing

Hey Brian, which dam are you fishing by. I seem to be having trouble finding walleyes. I've been fishing down by the North Dakota Wild Rice where it enters the red in about 5 feet of water and just been catching goldeyes. Everyone else there is having trouble getting the walleyes to bite down there too. Any information would be great. THanks

A-Unit, ive been down by oxbow. The fishing isnt that great but i seem to get a few everytime. Normally about 1 fish per hour maybe less. I havent been catching any goldeyes which i think may be a good sign.

Most the fish come well after dark. The later the better if you ask me or a couple hours before sun up.

Ive been catching fish in 7-8 feet too. If you can find a spot were there are branches coming through the ice thats normally good. But watch out so you dont drill through a branch like i did yesterday and break the blade on your auger!!!!! mad.gif

Its kind of nice cause my girlfriend lives 200 yards where I fish so I can go down there anytime. I dont sleep in the middle of the night very much so sometimes i will fish from like midnight to five, six in the morning and the fish still bite.

I think you just gotta try different things and see what works for you and be patient. The fish gotta eat sometime and hopefully your in the right spot!!

Also about the post i made early. I caught a 6 lb 2 ozer not an 8 lb 2 ozer. Sometimes i like to think im a good fisherman. Good fishing

Thanks Brian for the info. I'll have to try that spot out sometime tomorrow or saturday. As long as I don't catch any more goldeyes I'll be happy. THanks Austin

A-Unit did you guys climb out of that hole OK last night? smile.gif

Old farts like myself and Big Shanon like to pack in light, and then them hills still seam to get bigger on the way out. We both pulled a Hommer on the way down..Doe..Doe..Doe...thud! LOL! Look out...kinda icy Eh!

We caught 2 walleye, both #2.5 class eaters. Seen several come in and look at dusk but they apear to be a bit shy..might have been the weather..who knows.

How did you do?

I was not trying to be a snob, I might be more chatty next time we meet up on the river. When I am trying to dial in the fish I am not the most social critter on the ice. wink.gif

Ya it was a little rough trying to bring the propane tank and ice house up that mountain. We noticed its a lot easier going down then getting up the bank. Had to take a couple of trips, but eventually made it out of there. We left about a hour after you guys did and got nothing. No bites for the day but it does look like a pretty good honeyhole. We didn't have a vexilar so weren't sure if there was any fish down there. Don't worry about being a snob while fishing. I'm not a big chatter box either when I know there is fish near by. I sort of flip the switch and get into the zone. I would of gone today but none of my friends wanted to go, so I'm going to try tomorrow again.

Austin

The bite down on the river has slowed down the last week or so. I dont know why but i think the weather has something to do with it.

Ive been going out later in the night and using some of your guys holes but only getting a bite every couple hours.

Ed, I was wondering if you tried the bend lately???? I think im gonna give that a try tonight and if I get nothing Im gonna try that spot farther downstream where you said there was more goldeyes.

I got all day off tuesday so im gonna hit it hard and fish from probably 530 in the morning to 8-9 at night. I like to be outside, so if I dont catch anything its still better then work.

Good fishing

The Red River is open to all fishing April 1 through March 31 of each fishing year.

Residents of North Dakota and Minnesota holding a valid resident fishing license from their respective state and persons of other states who either have nonresident North Dakota or Minnesota fishing licenses may fish in either of the boundary waters described above and may transport such fish with them by the most convenient route to the state in which they are licensed. If the laws of the states differ, anglers must comply with the laws and rules of the state in which they are licensed. (NOTE: This includes children who are not required to have a license.)

From the Red and Bois de Sioux Rivers and all of their tributary streams the daily and possession limit on catfish shall be 5 regardless of the number of state or provincial licenses purchased by the angler. Only one catfish may exceed 24 inches in total length.

From the Red and Bois de Sioux Rivers up to the first vehicular bridge or crossing the daily limit for walleye, sauger, or saugeye shall be three. (MN is closed to gamefish starting at the mouth of any trib into the Red, at a line of siught across the mouth of said trib.)

From the Red and Bois de Sioux Rivers up to the first vehicular bridge or crossing the daily and possession limit for northern pike shall be three.

# On the Red and Bois de Sioux rivers the daily and possession limits will be three for northern pike.

# On the Red and Bois de Sioux rivers the daily and possession limits will be three for walleye, sauger, and saugeye individually or a combination of the three species.

Fish houses no longer need to be licensed in North Dakota.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department does, however, continue to regulate winter fish houses (including those used for dark-house spearfishing). The following regulations apply:

Name and address or phone number must be put on unoccupied fish houses

* Any unoccupied fish house must have displayed on its outside in readily distinguishable characters at least three inches high, the owner's name and address or telephone number. Any unoccupied fish house left on the ice without having this proper identification may be removed or destroyed by the Department and its owner is guilty of a class 2 non-criminal offense.

fish-house.jpg

Occupied structures do not require identification.

* If using a car as a warming house while fishing, the car shall not be considered as a fish house. The use of old car bodies as fish houses is illegal.

* Shelters or structures used as fish houses shall not cover an area of more than 144 square feet.

* Fish houses shall be constructed of floatable materials. They may be constructed with or without windows. They shall be constructed in such a manner as to be easily removed from the ice at any time.

* When in use, fish houses must be open for inspection at all times and hooks on doors are illegal.

* Fish houses may be placed no closer than 50 feet in any direction to each other.

* Fish houses shall be removed from all waters by midnight March 15 of each year. Portable fish houses can continue to be used if they are removed daily.

* It is illegal to leave fish houses on any federal refuge land after March 15 or on any state-owned or managed land after April 1 of each year.

The following areas are closed to all fishing:

- That portion of the Red River below the Drayton Dam for a distance of 150 feet.

- Spearing of fish is not allowed on the Red River.

# While fishing through the ice only in all waters of the state, a maximum of four poles is legal.

# Two lines maximum on open water.

# An angler must remain within 150 feet of his/her fishing equipment and must check it at least once per hour while open water and/or ice fishing.

# Muskellunge Less than 40 inches in Total Length must be released.

The licensee shall carry the fishing license on his/her person at all times while fishing.

License Fees

* Resident Fishing, Hunting & Furbearer Certificate - $1.00

* Resident Single - $10.00

* Resident Husband and Wife - $14.00

* Resident, 65 years or older - $3.00

* Resident, Disabled (from Bismarck office only) - $3.00

* Resident Sportsmen's License (16 years or older - includes fishing, small game, general game and habitat, and furbearer licenses) - $32.00

* Nonresident Fishing, Hunting & Furbearer Certificate - $2.00

* Nonresident Single - $35.00

* Nonresident Husband and Wife - $45.00

* Nonresident Seven Days - $20.00

* Nonresident Three Days - $15.00

Free Fishing Days - Residents of North Dakota may fish without a resident fishing license on June 5 and June 6, 2004, and on June 4 and June 5, 2005.

You can download the complete ND Fishing Guide in PDF format at this link if you so wish.

http://www.state.nd.us/gnf/licenses/docs/fish-guide-2004.pdf