• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fargo - moorhead area Ice fishing on the red!

Does anybody fish the red around this area? We fish it when the ice is out but never with the ice on. Any body that has any comments feel free to share.

thanks,

lyonch

I have never fished the Red in town, but have fished it about 15 miles north. One time was all it took me to realize that it wasn't the smartest thing to do this time of year. It was very dangerous, not because of the ice but because of the snowmobilers. I don't think there would be much problem with that closer to town. I think Ed fishes the rivers quite a bit in the winter. I'm sure he'll give you the word on where it would be safe.

Yup, lots of ice fishing opportunities on the Red and its tribs locally. Yup, you need to be careful. I ended up putting relective material on everything I used on the river (including myself). With sleds going 80+ mph down the river, you don't have much time to move stuff.

If you're serious about wanting to learn about ice fishing the rivers, give Ed Carlson a call. He'll guide you for a day, couple days, or maybe just half-day, but it'll be well worth the money. You'll learn more in a day than you'll learn in a season otherwise.

Sorry for the slow reply, been kinda busy.

I have not been out on the Red much so I have no "Hot" location tips for you to share.

A general tip would be try sharp bends and fish the head or tail-out areas of the deeper sections for walleye. Pay special attention to low current areas on the tail-out end. You do not need to be in the deepest hole to catch fish, near one is good....not in one.

Ya watch for them ice rockets at night. If your in a hard to spot location set something out up and down river from your location that would tip-off them sleds that they need to slow down. Reflective materials on most everything as Scoot mantioned is very wise plan. I have had tip-up smashed by sleds and even had a shack clipped by one once. I have enough reflective materials on my stuff to look like an alian has landed. So if they do not see me and slow down, it sure is not my fault.

Northland rattle spoons and blade baits are good options on the Red. Tip them with a minnow or a minnow head and go to jig'n. Electronics is very handy but not a must. Try different depths while jigging starting 6" off and working up to 5' at times.

If you would like a day or evening on the ice with me to hone your river fishing skills we can work somthing out there too. It could be a mini seminar on rivers, I am generious with info because I like to see folks learn and respect the Red.

Good luck and drop me an e-mail if you need more hands on help.

Scoot, give me a call or email. I lost my phone along with all your numbers, down the hole at URL. I'll be in town Monday and would like to pick up my rod.

Later,

Fisherdog

Hey Ed, You gettin a few? I sure would like to get up there and try that open water spot I told you about...I know it works!

The Wilber Beans recipe is in the mail...enjoy! grin.gif

My son and I fished for two hours late yesterday afternoon just out from the public access at Johnson Park north of Moorhead. Four holes, no fish, but we did get to watch 14 young deer cross the river upstream (it was probably the same 6 or 7 going back and forth). The ice was only 8" thick. It's 5-6 feet deep off the boat landing. I wanted to go farther upstream but I could see a soft spot where water had come up through the ice and I was smart enough not to take any chances. Despite the no fish, it was a great couple of hours.

Mmmmmmmmmm....Papa eat beans now!

Nope no open water for me recently. The spot you talked about may be a good one this week with the warm weather forcasted?

I will be testing some river ice again on Tuesday and see if the cats and eyes are willing to play. Tried some perch last Friday and found a Blizzerd instead..not fun. Polished up my shovel and caught 1 perch.

Stu and crew are spanking the big greens up North Eh, on Chubbys. That is where I want to be, get'n my Chubby Spanked! Work keeps me from heading north tell latter in the week, if then.

FYI- I tried the Red close to home last night at dusk....NADA..zip.

The spot may produce yet so I may try it again after work today?

I have never fished the red in the winter. I always thought a person would go through the ice. (the current) How far would a person have be away from a dam and be safe. The north for example?

The first couple of miles below the North Dam are some of the most dangerous ice on this end of the Red. Very often, this section of the Red all the way up to Co Rd #20 is open or barely frozen over. I would look elsewhere or go farther North.

Use extreme caution if you test the ice near any dam, I discourage fishing near any dams in the winter on the ice. There is no way to predict the safety of the ice near a dam.

I'll echo Ed's comments- below the North Dam is a place to avoid for anyone interested in ice fishing. Very dangerous.

Last winter I ignored Ed's comments about fishing below dams and fished about 100 yards below the South Dam. I fished one night on 18" of good ice. Went back the very next night on 8" of ice so soft that I can't believe we could stay on top of it. No fishing- we got the heck outta there! I couldn't believe how fast it changed. At that point I decided that ol' Ed might know a little about what he's talking about.

Lots of good waters to check out away from dams. Look for calm water- holds more fish and builds better ice. Also, take precautions- go with a buddy, bring ice picks, have a long, strong rope, etc.

Good luck,

I have to try to sneak up on the Red I guess?

Every time lately that I plan to head out the weather turns to Krap.

So...I think I'll just drive by slow and zoom up on it quick before the weather man can see me.

wink.gif

Well today I saw the picture out of the outdoors section and saw the huge walleye caught through the Bois de Sioux and had no clue that you could ice fish on the river for walleyes. I live in the fargo and just wanted to know what to use for bait. Also, I was wondering if it would be better to fish on the Red or say the Wild Rice or Sheyenne. I have already gone on a guided tour with Ed Carlson so I already have some honey holes to look at but not sure if to try the Red or one of its tributaries. One last question, wondering if it is safe to ice fish where a tributary joins the Red. Thanks

Schmalz

The Bois de Sioux is a different type of a winter trib, more of a long narrow backwater appendage then a river. Mainly due to the fact, it has no flow to speak off in the winter so fish from the headwaters end of the Red move in and out of it like a slough. The first few miles off the Red into the Bois de Sioux have produced a few fish in the winter, depending on the year.

The local tribs of the Red are more inclined to have current. The Wild Rice is a low flow river in the winter and may have a few fish at or near it's confluence or up a mile into the Wild Rice. Once the ice thickens, I see few walleye active up in the Wild Rice.

Other tribs like the Maple and the Sheyenne are good choices if the flow is not strong. The Sheyenne is often the strongest flowing of the local tribs and the ice can be more unpredictable.

On low flow tribs look for deeper water and jig with a flash spoon and a fathead minnow. On faster flowing tribs look for off currant areas and fish the deeper inside edge of the channel with a vertical jigging option such as a Nills Master Jigging Shad tipped with a minnow head.

The ice conditions can change rather quickly in February and early March. Be cautious and avoid areas near dams or bridges where the restricted flow will thin ice even further.

• 2 weeks later...

The walleye bite has been on the up-swing in recent days. The tribs have seen some action but nobody is reporting on the action, tight lipped crews I guess. wink.gif

Shallow has been the key for me. The bulk of the walleye I have caught are in 5' to 8' of water on the Red. Tight to shore and near woody snags has been good for me early and late in the day.

I know there has been some good action on the Sheyenne, Maple, and the MN Wild Rice as well as on the MN Buff Rivers. Yet nobody is saying much so you will have to track them down on your own I guess. laugh.gif

Heavy Zips in Willow Cat or Glow, Rockers in Orange and Black, Nills' Master Shads in Tiger Orange/Yellow, and Angel Eye's in Gold/Red have been my Go-2 baits on the Red. In slower water, Chubby Darters are doing well, the GMO and the LOD working well for me in CD-5 and CD-6. I tip the rear trebles with a minnow or a minnow head.

Be cautious, know the ice before getting too brave. Stay clear of the dams or at the very least check the ice very well prior to approaching high risk areas.

A couple of nice days ahead, go get-um....and good fishing to ya folks.

Thanks for the report, Ed. I've been trying to sneak out here or there, but you know my deal at this point... diapers and formula seem to be the duties of each day for now.

I got your deal on the spring walleyes talk. Care to share any more info about that here?

Scoot are you free this evening to try a few jigs..Eh? If so drop me an E-mail in a few min.

I sent Rick and Dennis the info on the dates too. They will post it when they see fit.

Of course not! grin.gif I wish I was, but it's diapers and formula for me!!! Not complaining, but I wish I could join ya. I've got a spot on the Buffalo that I've been itching to try all year.

I'll end with my same old sad reply of the winter- give me a report when you get back! Good luck!!!

Well, the fishing at on the wild rice has been fun but no walleyes seen yet. Lots of Goldeye. We have probably caught over 40 goldeyes in 2 outings. I was wondering if I should go to a different river that joins the Red. Also wondering what time of day they bite at. I've been fishing with minnows from around 3:30 to 6 at nite and only caught goldeyes in about 7 to 6 feet of water right next to the big drop off. I'm probably going to go fishing right after school tomorrow at 3:30 so any tips on hot spots would be nice.

Have you been fishing the ND Wild Rice or the MN Wild Rice River?

I tried the ND WR at the mouth a few times and NADA...ZIP for walleye..yet. About the same depths too and straight across from the hole on the inside bend.

I tried a new spot on the Sheyenne near Horace/West Fargo last night......that was a looser spot. Looked great but no fish wanted to bite for me. Lookers but no hookers.

I'll give it a go on a spot that has been doing better for me latter today. I work at GM tell 3:00 PM then I need to run home for a bit then I will hit the Red after 4:00 PM on points South of Fargo.

Scoot if you can tear yourself away from the diaper duties for a while drop me a call at GM today.

Going to be nice today/tonight and Sat Eh. laugh.gif

Once again I'm hosed for the weekend. Weather looks perfect too! We've got a baptism for the little guy this weekend and I'll have family here starting this afternoon.

Trust me when I say I'm not trying to come up with excuses to not fish with ya! Dang, I'm itchin', but duty calls at home these days.

I'm thinking of trying the river this weekend for the first time. I've fished in the spring by the mid-town dam, but I haven't caught anything. That was a couple years ago when I was in school. My goal is to learn to fish the river this year through the ice, from shore and in my boat. I printed a map from the MN-DNR that shows the boat landings, dams and other things to look out for.

I'm thinking of trying Moorhead near the south dam and by 52nd Ave S. I guess I don't really know where to start, but it's time to get my feet wet (Figuratively, I hope). Do you guys think these are good places to start? Do you guys use a Vex on the river? I'm going with a buddy of mine and I was thinking of looking for some structure???? like a drop, or maybe trees and drilling on the best looking spots? Probably try a tipup. I don't know, might not catch any walleyes but I've got to start somewhere.

Piker,

Do some searches on ice fishing in this forum- you'll get a wealth of information. If you've got a Vex, use it. If not, don't worry about it. Most importantly, fish with a buddy, bring a long, strong rope, carry ice picks, and use good judgement with regards to ice. Be careful!!!

Five to eight feet near snag piles adjacent to, at the front of, or the rear of deep holes is a great place to start looking for winter walleyes on the Red and it's tribs. Good luck!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

I sent Rick and Dennis the info on the dates too. They will post it when they see fit.

Hi Ed, I didn't get an e-mail from ya???

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try and communicate what I find. I think the river could be a great resource and a nice alternative to going up to LOW every weekend. My main concern was with the dams and not knowing where they are, but from that map I was able to see where they were. I think there's only the three in town. I'll post what I find. Catching a walleye on the river would probably light my face up like a kid. I'm pretty excited to try it.

I've been fishing on the North Dakota Wild Rice and have just been catching goldeyes and nothing else. I tried to find where the sheyenne enters the the Red and same with the buffalo river system and had couldn't find a way down to the river. I was wondering if there was any internet website that would have good mapping for the area.

thanks

Austin

Scoot, I'll be up in Fargo on Monday. Bring the rod and give me a call on my cell monday when you want me to com.

Fisherdog

A-Unit,

There's a friends of the Red River website that talks about a canoe path that links to the MN DNR site that has a nice map of access points, boat launches, and shore fishing opportunities. If you search and can't find it let me know and I'll dig a little.