• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4# or 6# Line for LOW?

What do the majority of you all use for line weight? Clear/colored/florocarbon???

I've found that on lotw...it doesn't really matter. The water is so dark...you have a little margin for error. However....I still use flourocarbon. 6# usually, but on my stiffer, heavy jigging rods...I'll go to 8#, and I havn't noticed any difference in performance. I catch fish equally between them. The 8# gives you alittle more confidence in the event you hook a decent fish.

ironman is right on about the type of line. The only thing I would add is that when the fish get picky, lighter line (even 1 or 2lb)will make enough difference in the action of the jig to trigger a few more strikes. I have several rods rigged with 2,4,and 6 lb line. When changing colors doesn't seem to work, I change line size. If you're only bringing a couple with (this time of year), I would go with 4lb.

flourocarbon 6# will work just fine even on the eelpout have fun and don't forget a mouth spreader for the eelpout just to get your hook's back.

I switch my reels from summer rods to winter rods, and they are all spooled with 8/3 fireline. Works good for me year around.

The only time on LOW I've seen mono out fish fireline is when trout fishing in clear water.

Just my 2 cents.

I go with the 8/3 Fireline also. It's limp with no memory which I like for ice fishing, plus it's easy to see.

I never set foot on the ice with less than 8 lbs up there. I currently have been using 10/2 power pro.

I also use the 10-2 power pro, its nice to have a little strength behind you when you pull up the 9# pout!! Also when fishing deep water less strech for setting the hook! And no twist after jiging all day!

I bet a lot of your fish have pop eye's from dragging them up from the bottom so quickly using 10 lb line. takes all the fun out of working them in or should I say fishing.

I used 6# Berkley Vanish on my medium action rods and 4# Vanish on my light action rods last weekend and it worked great.

widetrck or iffwalleyes,

I got a real dum questions for u boys. What does 8/3 or 10/2 mean? Is that a line size?

8lb test 3lb diameter.

Dry fly, it's how fast you turn the crank on the reel, not the pound test line. I don't understand the analogy. I wouldn't use anything less the 8lb personally.

Just figured when your using such heavy line you must want to get them to the hole mighty fast as well. 10 lb seems a bit extreme even for the pout you will be catching is all. Takes a lot of the action away from your lures. Enjoy!

The super lines are different. 2-3 lb diameter. Puts tremendous action on your lures. And with the no stretch, when you shimmy-and-shake them they dance like crazy, especially if you use a MH rod.

DryFly,

Just look at the fish Widetrack catches... I think he know's what he's talking about!

Dry Fly I also run 2-10 power pro and its not so much to crank fish up off the bottom but for the benefit of much more feel. I use this on my heavier jigging rods for bigger spoons, chubby darters, jigging raps, Tinglers etc. I still run mono on my deadsticks and bobber rods.

I still get to play the fish out and dont pop any eyes out. grin.gif If you jig bigger baits or in deep waters you should give Power Pro or Fireline a shot. Just remember you need backing on your reel before spooling either on.

Thanks for the advice I will have to give it a try and see what difference it will make. So many different lines they make now it's gets tough keeping up with them all. Do you have problems with knot's with these lines at all?

Just be sure to use the palomar knot and you'll have no problems. Other knots will slip. If you're not sure which one this is or don't remember how to tie it, buy the fireline and there will be instructions in the box.

I don't use 10 lbs to crank fish to the top as super speed. You still play the fish same as you would with mono you still adjust the drag. But the hugh advantage is you get a much stronger line with a small diameter and you don't have to worry about line breaking of as much. On the little icefishing reels you are able to have much more line on the reel since it is only 2# diameter. I also like it because the line doesn't develope memory like mono. In 4 years of using super lines ice fishing I have lost far few lures which with the price lure now is a big deal. It also is much more sensitive and you can feel lots more with it.

One other thing you need to remember to put some backer line on the reel before you put the superline on as Northlander mentioned. So I usually about 20 or so wraps of mono and then I tie my power pro on and finish filling the reel. It you don't do this the line will spin on the spool so you have to remember to do this.

Makes sense and a very good explanation about the line. Thank You I'm going to have to give it try for sure.

Great post guys!! This past weekend it didn't matter what size line you used, the fishing was terrible, very bad!!! Wonder if the weather had anything to do with it?????

Walleyejon and I were out yesterday and did alright, very finicky bite though. Fishing is usually a bit on the tougher side when the barometer is skyrocketing, Tuesday and Wednesday when it starts falling the fish should start up good again. Last Tuesday with the falling barometer the fishing was stellar, then Thursday with the high it was just plain terrible.

fiskyknut

Guys,

For those of you that do use the various "super lines", do you use a mono leader?

TRITC

I only use Fireline 8/3 now, and I don't ever use a leader or a snap swivel or anything. I always tie right on the jig.

I don't use leaders.

I use big spoons for lures though, and I target fish that are structure related in less then 25'. These fish tend to be much more aggressive then fish that are roaming the flats in deep water. So finicky fish might tend to be line shy, and a leader may help. The water is so tanic on LOW though, that I really don't think it's necessary.

I also never used a leader. I believe it is best to keep it simple. You start putting that many parts together some thing is going to break or go wrong. Plus by going to a mono leader you will lose the stregth in the line at that point and that is the point where it is most critical. My old man is a firm believer in keeping things simple. He will always tie just a plain Gold Kahle Hook on directly to the line and there have been very few days where he isn't in the running for most fish in the house.