Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
KrashR

Spearing in metro area lakes

KrashR

I am thinking about going out spearing for the first time ever, this weekend. I just bought a new Otter Lodge and want to use it for the first time, and with the temps this weekend, I'm pretty sure the fish won't be biting on a hook, and I have always wanted to try spearing. Can anyone point me in a good direction for lakes as far as clarity and good Northern populations? I was just going to use my auger to cut the spear hole and then cover all the windows in my otter and hope its dark enough... I live in Mounds View, and I was thinking of going to Long Lake, but I know it is really murky in the summer so I would think the winter is the same. And I think I read that Rush and Bald Eagle are closed to spearing. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

unclejake

I've heard people spear Square Lake and Big Marine Lake for northerns. It would be cool to see a northern come into the hole. Good luck.

fishin magician

Definitly a good first time lake is Snail Lake in Shoreview. Lots of northern population. Pretty clear also.

mnmuzzleloader

I speared Prior last year and really clear but not much for pike, Waconia is really clear this year I have heard, I have had good luck out there in the past, Look for about 6-8 feet of water next to existing weeds, I usually use a decoy and spearing sucker, you might just want to try a decoy if you are going out for you first time you will have enough to do with out trying to keep the sucker in the hole. If you go to Waconia be sure to watch out for the muskies, Just be sure to know your species before you let go of the spear.

cyberamish

Fish Lake in Maple Grove is pretty decent as well. Easy to find where to set up as you only need to ook out from the access 300 yds or so to see the ring of 5 spearhouses out there. Good northern population in that lake as well.

KrashR

Thanks for the tip cyberamish, is there only one landing or which landing would it be, I don't know fish lake, but I would like to go where other people are spearing for my first time maybe. Thanks.

MossBoss95

Check and see about the sperring regs for Waconia. I know the have Muskies and I thought you could not spear designated muskie lakes?

mnmuzzleloader

page 59-60 of the regulations tells which lakes spearing is not allowed on. Minnetonka is one of those lakes that you can't spear. Waconia is not listed, This is the first year that they have dropped some of the other lakes as well Cedar lake had been one of those in the past but this year is has been removed.

cyberamish

There is just one access off of Bass Lake Road, just west of 494 in Fish Lake Regional Park. As you go out the access onto the lake (ice was 24"+ as of last week) you will see about 6 or 8 houses on your right. Of those there are at least 4 spearhouses set up on the sharp break from 5ft to 10ft. I have had some luck on both the east side and on the west side of the access bay up near the fishing pier. Good Luck!!!

mtreno

mnmuzzleloader - i was told the dnr was not happy with the tiger muskies in cedar and thats why they opened spearing on the lake - what did you here??

KrashR

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Actually I didn't go to any of the lakes listed, but I was thinking of going out to Snail lake, but the guy at Vados didn't know anything about it as far as driving out. So we went to Turtle lake, we speared yesterday and today. Yesterday it was really good, and we had 4 Northerns come in, they were really aggressive and hit the decoy before we even had a chance to spear them, but I tried for 2 of them after they made a second pass, no luck though. Then today we went out and saw one come in nice and slow and I got ready and had the spear about 20 inches in the water and got a nice 30-incher. We just saw a couple other Bass and a few Crappies. Then I went over and gave my decoy sucker to another spear house and I went inside and they were spearing in like 11' of water, they could hardly see the bottom, but they put potatoe slices at the bottom so they could see better. I had a hard enough time spearing in 8.5' of water, how do people throw the spear at anything when it is 7+ feet down in the water?? Anyways, it was a really good time and I'm glad we tried out something new, hopefully we can get out spearing a few more times this year, and maybe try the above lakes listed.

mnmuzzleloader

Ya I had heard that last summer they were having public input to the possibility of opening Cedar and a couple of other lakes, I have not been out there or talked to anyone who has spearing it have you?? I wonder how clear it is??

Early Riser

Muzzleloader,

When you were spearing Prior what did you see for Pike? My wife's parents live on the lake and I have been thinking about trying it out there. About 7-8 years ago we caught more pike than ever while bass fishing in the summer. They must have had a good year class. Now some of those fish should be really nice.

mnmuzzleloader

We would drive on on the winter acces by the wagon bridge and drive north up to the island and speared around that the water was crystal clear, the odd part was we had no snow cover at the time and in the three outing we went we never seen a pike. plenty of sunnies and stuff like that but no pike I was thinking that the clear water was keeping them out, I have gone on the south side of the lake and that is really murky in the past enough where you can't even see the bottom of the ice, I was really excited to fine clear water but then no pike was alittle odd.

lars0926

I would look at Marion down in Lakeville/Farmington. Simply go to the public boat landing. Walk off about 20-30 feet, drill a hole, set up, and you'll pick some pike up. Was there Saturday jigging pike. Must have watched 8-9 come in. For spearing it would be good because of the depth and decent clarity.

cyberamish

Went out to Fish (Maple Grove) Monday when it was -5. Had my boys with so we just set tip ups out and stayed warm in the house. In two hrs we had 4 flags, 1 28" we kept for fish cakes, 1 34" I released, one that bit through the 35# leader at the hole, and one miss.