• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Woods

hunt4fun

I will probably be moving to the North Woods, specifically around the Ely area. How is the deer hunting there? I've heard they can be hard to pattern since there is so much woods? Thanks for any help. I currently live in Northern Illinois so deer density is high because of all the development. What little woods is left is full.

Yup the deer hunting around Ely is tough. My friend lives there is a very good hunter and still sometimes will not shoot a buck. The woods are big, the deer herd is small, theres alot of wolves that way, and not many hunters, and the winters can be harsh. It's a tough hunt there but if you do get a buck they are huge.

Hunt4fun,

I know the area in question and Protrapper is right. Deer hunting can be frustrating in that part of the state. With all that cover and the smaller herd of deer they can be hard to pattern. Then you have to factor in the wolves. When they move through the deer usually move out for a few days. However if you can provide the deer with a good food source they are a lot more predictable. Try to find an area where you can establish a food plot for them. Plant something that will provide good forage through the fall and your chances of success with increase significantly.

Good luck