Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
buzbunni

Harriet today!

buzbunni

O.K. Old Man Winter....here we go.

Planning on hitting Harriet today in the afternoon. I think I will try to skip the "crowd" on the west side, and maybe hit the SE corner off the beach. I have only fished Harriet hardwater but once, so I'm going in with just a map, some extra longjohns, and a bit of cold weather courage. I should be out around 2:30ish if anyone wants to join.

Target: Walleye.

I need to give my new (used) auger a good test run, so I may drill quite a few holes(if I sharpened the blades properly tongue.gif) to check 'er out. Back-up hand auger will be in the car just in case.

I have a older blue fishtrap.

Fishwonk

I'm working at four, or I'd join you. Buzz, I live only a mile from Harriet, and I'd be more than willing to fish with you sometime. I have the entire breakline of Harriet plotted out on my GPS, and I've got a two-man if you are interested, especially after this cold snap. Tomorrow I'm going to the Bear to meet some of the other guys, but it seems to me you are right here in my neck of the "woods". I could make it out there next Monday night, if you're available, and I would like to meet you. If you are so inclined, you can contact me at fishwonk@yahoo.com and we can talk further. Good luck today! My roomate and I have spent several very frigid nights on Harriet in the past, and we'd usually catch several bananas an evening right off the weedline. If you look on the map you'll notice a good inside turn out from Knox Ave. on that SE corner. We've caught a few real nice ones there in the past.

Metroguy99

I drove past around that time, there were a few houses out. Must have been bitter cold. How was the Bite? I'm gonna make a journey for bait and hit harriet on Sunday.

Fishwonk

Yeah, Metro, it's a shame that there aren't any bait stores close by anymore. That one over by Minnehaha Falls Park was really convenient, as was Haye's on Lake. Now Gander's the closest I've found, but their selection is quite limited. Joe's is better. Wayzata rules, though.

Buzz, did you go?

Chad_Rap

For closer bait ( i have yet to stop in and see how good ) but the Mobil station on Penn ave just north of 394 is supposed to have minnows and such. When in doubt look em up give em a call. If it warms up i might try to hit Harriet this weekend too.

Don;t ask why i am posting this at 4:30 am.... crazy.gif

Liar

Hey buzz-- How did the auger work? are you spoiled already?

did you mark some fish?

buzbunni

Sorry fellow metro FM'rs, I've been offline for a few days(and then FM was "offline" frown.gif).

It was a cold day last Friday, but there is nothing more enjoyable then watching the masses commute home from work, while you're cozy-in-the-shelter and catching fish.

The fish were actually quite active that day. I didn't catch anything big, but I caught a few perch, walters, and a decent crappie. The walleyes were dinks, but it was fun. The Salmo Chubby darter was the ticket for the day, and the fish wanted it quite a bit off the bottom, say 3-4 feet. It's amazing how well they see. The minute I plopped it in the water they would start moving, and by the time it was about 6 feet down they were moving up to get it. Natural colors were the best on this day, and I've found that to be the case on Calhoun as well, for the most part.

The auger worked nicely after I figured out I was getting a bit of vacuum in the gas-tank. Once I opened it up and closed it, it was a blast. This is my first power-auger (and a used one at that), so I don't have anything to compare it too, but it worked for me.

18 ft. was the ticket, as it seems to be on this lake many times. I'm curious about what may be deeper? One of these days I'm going to do some deep water experimentation just to see.

Fishwonk: I would love to ice a line with you sometime(and others as well). Again, I'll try to post when I'm going out. This Friday may be the ticket again.

Maximum12

I haven't been on Harriet in almost two years, but I went there quite a bit in Jan/Feb 2003 when I found a good spot out there (well away from the points on the east/west): buz, it sounds like you may be in the same general area & depth. If any of y'all feel like posting when you're going out, I'd like to hit the lake again since I don't know much about it but have had some success in my time out there.

FWIW, the 1/2 hour before & after sundown were about the only time I caught fish, but the action was sometimes non-stop for a lot of that window.

lars0926

buz, if you're going down to Harriet again anytime soon I'm coming down there too. Have not been on H since summer and would like to check it out.

Chad_Rap

I was out last year late season hitting the crappie on the weed edge, but seemed to be hooking all the small perch confused.gif I might be down that way this weekend. probably Sunday morning. I like hitting Harriet lot more then calhoun for some reason....

ogre

I have fished Harriet a few times this season and caught a lot of small perch. I saw some one the other day though with a nice walleye. I lost something on a shiner off of a weedline, tried to set the hook too soon.

SmallieJohn

Concerning that Mobile station. It has Suckers, Fatheads, and Crappie minnows and the waxxies and such. No shiners or such. Bait is good, get if from there all the time. Owners are my neighbors.