• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The AKC Lab is the top registered dog

gspman

From the AKC - For the 15th consecutive year, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular purebred dog in America, according to registration figures released today by the American Kennel Club. Nearly three times as many Labs were registered in 2004 as any other breed.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not but the lab is sure popular with a lot of folks.

I think what this means is that folks have to be extra careful in buying a puppy. Dogs should be bred based on betterment of the breed. I'm sure a lot of breeders just have puppy farms that turn out as many dogs as they can with little regard to checking the eyes, hips, elbows etc. I think a buyer also has to be careful to make sure they are finding the right temperment in a dog. With so many novice breeders out there one has to be very careful to make sure they are getting a good healthy dog.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing them slip a couple (O.K. a couple hundred) notches on the popularity order. This from a guy who loves the breed! Way to many being bred solely to put "labs" on the earth.... Talk to a vet once and listen to what they see coming into their offices.... frown.gif

Good Luck!

Ken