• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pull back truck toppers : Reviews?

setterguy

Question

I saw some "pull back" truck toppers in the back of an outdoor magazine and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on them. They run on a track on the truck rails, and are made of a canvas like material. I have always wanted a topper, but like the flexibility of being able to load the atv in the truck also. They look pretty slick, if they hold up.

9 answers to this question

I know the tracks get screwed up from the snow making sliding it open hard on some models. For that reason I went with a lid at the time and gee........everything was always to tall to shut it.

I've been running an Access Roll Up cover for about 4 years and haven't had any problems with it. I highly recommend it. Do a search on the internet and you should be able to find it.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post about what I'm referring to. These are actual full size truck toppers, that are made of canvas, so you can have a topper when you need one or fold it up when you don't. Thanks for the replies.

Access are the way to go.

Setter fire me a email I might have something you are interested it or not. But you won't know unless you e-mail me. confused.gif

iffwalleyes at hotmail dot com.

Hi setterguy...

From hard and soft toppers. Lids to tonneaus, I think I've had just about all of them. What I have found is that they ALL are some form of compromise.

Hard toppers, very convienient and secure, but still too short for loading your ATV. Big, bulky and heavy if you ever have to remove them. And then, where do you store it? Hard covers, sleek looks, good security and very weather tight. But, they have to be raised or removed for tall items. Same problems as the topper. Just on a "thinner" scale. Track and paneled model tonneaus, just due to design, these can be enviromentally challenged. Snow, mud... even bugs get into the tracks or between the panels and bind up the operation. Easy to use when they work, but a real pain when they don't.

A "soft" topper? Could this be the answer?

The new soft "toppers" look real interesting. The one I had a few years back suffered badly from flapping in the wind. Everything I tried, I just couldn't get the material tight enough. I saw one just recently that had actual adjusters to stretch the cover out, once you had it all set up. I'll see if I can find the info for you. I too would like to get a cover back on my truck, I trailer my ATV's so a hard topper is still an option for me. But I do like the versatility of the soft models.

Keep us posted and good luck on your project....

Access covers are just like what you mentioned moose. They roll up and buckle down so they don't flap. They have a tension adjustment on the front and then in addition they have a set of slides of the back that work as wind latches. Because on a really windy day like we get out here in ND you need that. Access covers are very popular out here the were orignally made in Jamestown I think that they still are but I could be wrong. I have had one for 3 years know and acctually just came about owning another. I am getting a different truck and it has one on it already. I have a buddy that has a truxedo cover and it is nice as well about the same for the way they are constructed. Both are easy to adjust and work great in the summer and winter.

iffwalleyes, I beleive what moose and setterguy are talking about is a cab hight soft topper not a box hight tonneau cover like the Access.

I have only seen one of these units on a truck and it looked pretty impressive but I didn't get a good chance to look at it up close or talk to the owner about it.

I too would like to hear a review of one of these. Like Moose I have owned just about every style of box cover out there truxedo, access, hard tonneau, glass topper, aluminum topper and the all have there strong points and weaknesses. I would think that if a company could make a soft topper that wouldn't flap in the wind and did even an average job of keeping the elements out that would be the ticket!!! cool.gif

Do you remember the brand name of the units you saw in the magazine? I would like to check into these also.

Thanks

arbuck

I think it'd be tough making a quality cab high soft cover. The air flow going over the cab basically pushes down on the box soft covers and would be pushing against a higher soft cover. I haven't really seen any soft cab height covers here in MN. I'm interested in what ya find.

I think the biggest drawback to getting / using one of these would be the security of your gear that's inside... at least with a hardside topper you can lock it...

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.