Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryan johnson

big greeny's still on the red

7 posts in this topic

posting this again in the red river forum...just in case you guys didn't see it in the main forum

gotout today finally at about 12:30 today..I lost about 5 fish half way up the hole..but my partner managed 4 fish...his biggest previous walleye was no bigger than 4 pounds,and this is only his second year ice fishing..needless to say he's really hooked..

this is a 30 incher..

dsc023939wn.jpg

this is 27 inches..

dsc023892ke.jpg

resised8jj.jpghis third was a 31 incher..

Congrats on the nice walleyes. I am a first timer to the Red and never seen such nice pics. I am from the Fargo-moorhead area, and was just curious if the fishing is that good my way. I was also curious what kind of bait do you guys use, and what depth do fish. Any information about the Fargo-moorhead area would be great. Congrats on the nice "eyes" again.

Walleyes,

Just about nobody's got the kind of 'eyes they have up there in the numbers they have them! Selkirk is the land of true hogs. However, we've got some exceptional ice fishing opportunities here on the Red. That being said, if you're not an experienced dude on the Red, I'd suggest hiring Ed Carlson for a day trip or two to get the scoop on the Red and its tribs. It's well worth the money and you'll learn more in a day than you would otherwise learn in a year. I'm certainly not the world's foremost expert on ice fishing the Red, but I know infinitely more from fishing with Ed. If interested, say so and I'm sure he'll see your reply and get back to you.

Nice fish man, how much did that 31" wiegh? I'd love to get back up there if I could, its nice knowing at any time you can stick a 13lb pig.

Fisherdog

I might have to make a trip up there this year. Every year I say I'm going to, but this year I might have to break down and go. Is the bite good all through the winter? It would be nice to get a chance at one of those beauties.

any time you guys wanna come up just just let me know.

The best time on the red for green backs is sept-feb. most big hawgs come out late in the fall.try trolling the flats along the channel with cranks or jigging, we had a great time this year with awesome fishing at first ice by selkirk, my shack is at sugar island but i have not used it in 2 weeks as fishing is slow there right now. Still pulling them up north on the river in 20-30'+ of water.the lake fish as always are a stunning electric green color. right now we are spending our time perch fishing on lk. manitoba and waiting to get out for some big northerns!